We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reserving Activities..now or later? (Cruises, Zipline, etc.)

Washington
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Reserving Activities..now or later? (Cruises, Zipline, etc.)

Just curious if it is better to wait and book these once we get to the resort - or if you save money booking activities ahead of time???

Thanks!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reserving Activities..now or later? (Cruises, Zipline, etc.)

I never book anything with the resort. It's my belief that you're only adding a middle man to the price. Also, the resort will offer you a discount but in order to get a discount they want you to spend part of your vacation listening to a high pressure sales pitch to tour their property.

When we get to town we search out the activities we like and book on-site. We also get to meet the people we are dealing with up front and the prices we've paid have been less than what I see on the resorts price lists.

Walnut Creek, CA
Level Contributor
350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reserving Activities..now or later? (Cruises, Zipline, etc.)

You will be bombarded in Cabo by " Activities Directors". On the street corners from their little booths, in the restaurants, etc. They are TIMESHARE REPS so beware. As the above poster said, unless you want to give up a big chunk of your time to them it is better to go directly to the business and book with them. We have booked various things online before going down, too.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Clearwater,FL
Level Contributor
313 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reserving Activities..now or later? (Cruises, Zipline, etc.)

Book while youre there, directly from the company.

Two problems I've encountered for my trip next week:

First, company closed its doors after we booked. two months after we booked and two weeks before the trip we find out that our off road adventure company is closing. Had to wait a week for our refund (thank god it came), Not Fun!

Second, booked sunset dinner cruise online and "saved 10%", in the fine print it explains that all funds will be converted to Peso, then to Euro, then back to $$. I might have added a step, but the point is that the 10% saving vanished pretty quickly.

Now the plan is to book at the company. I've had very good luck in the past making bargains at booking time, and plan to give it a whirl once more. If not, at least I'll have a chance to actually see what it is I'm booking instead of pics online.

Olympia, WA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,064 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reserving Activities..now or later? (Cruises, Zipline, etc.)

fins, which company converted funds to pesos, Euros, then dollars on you? I've never seen that before.

San Jose del Cabo...
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Reserving Activities..now or later? (Cruises, Zipline, etc.)

Sun goddess

it all depends whom you are traveling through Such as Expedia ,Apple Vacations, and so on. Remember in Cabo at the airport any one offering discounts is most likely time share sharks, even as posted above in town at booths and such place called tourist information centers expect more undercover time share sharks as I call them. I work as a customer service representative here in Cabo feel free to send me a message and let me know who you travel agency booked your trip through, and I will let you know what to expect. Booking through the companys directly helps but it also depends on when you will be in Cabo.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Clearwater,FL
Level Contributor
313 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reserving Activities..now or later? (Cruises, Zipline, etc.)

Jeff, might have made up the Euro part. (the added step), but the conversion to peso's and back to $$ was true.

Pez gato. Still looking forward to our trips with them, just saying that the 10% I saved booking online disappeared quick.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reserving Activities..now or later? (Cruises, Zipline, etc.)

For booking tours that go with bigger groups I've always had more success going straight through the company once I'm there. However, I always book my sailing/snorkeling trips ahead of time (with the company via email) because the ones that only take groups of 10 or less often sell out weeks ahead of time. Day Sail Cabo was fantastic.

Mentioned in this post
Day Sail Cabo
Day Sail Cabo
331 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
8. Re: Reserving Activities..now or later? (Cruises, Zipline, etc.)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 14:16