We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabo or PDC in February for a couple of single guys - HELP

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
194 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Cabo or PDC in February for a couple of single guys - HELP

've been to Cabo three times in the last 2 years and spent a week at Casa Dorada and loved it. I've also stayed at The ME, Riu Palace, Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach and Playa Grande. Finally made it to PDC (Riviera Maya) this month, and stayed at Iberostar Grand and loved it as well. Only downside to the Iberostar was the location, as it was far away from everything.

Now, I'm trying to figure out which place to go to for a week in February. I realize that I'm not comparing apples to apples when it comes to these two hotels. I have much more familiarity with Cabo than PDC. But I'm leaning towards PDC because I loved the beaches and clear water there, and haven't really explored the town much because I stayed at an AI and barely left the resort. I'm really torn. From my experience, here's my take

Beaches - PDC

Ocean - PDC

Weather - Cabo

Pools - Cabo

Excursions - PDC

Resorts (non-AI) - Cabo

Town - ? I only know Cabo

Nightlife - ? I only know Cabo

We are a couple of single guys in our late-30s. Looking to meet other singles, have a good time, take in the scenery and relax in the sun. Not into fishing or diving or any big excursions. We want to stay right in the middle of all the action, so we can walk to bars, restaurants, etc. We have both stayed at AI resorts before, and have ruled them out.

So, if you were in our shoes, given what we're looking for, which would of the above would you choose? These options would cost about the same.

Option 1 - Playa del Carmen - 9 nights at Playa Palms

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150812-d671008…

Option 2 - Cabo - 7 nights at Casa Dorada

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g152515-d672982…

Casa Dorada is a much nicer resort, is right in the middle of town and has pools with a swim up bar. The room is a huge one bedroom with full kitchen and huge balcony. About 1400 square feet. I like the idea of having a pool and beach to choose from, for a nice change of scenery.

Playa Palms is a smaller, boutique hotel right in the heart of PDC on the beach. The location is great, but the rooms are smaller and more basic, it has no restaurant, bar, room service, spa or functional pool. Beach looks great, with the exception of all the boats that are housed in front of the hotel. We can do 9 nights here for the same cost as 7 at Casa Dorada.

Since I'm having so much trouble deciding, I thought I would open it up to the forum. I have done a ton of research, and have narrowed it down to these 2 hotels. If I hadn't been to Cabo so many times, it would be a no-brainer, because Casa Dorada is an awesome resort.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Lincoln, California
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabo or PDC in February for a couple of single guys - HELP

For the nightlife and partying its Cabo hands down over PDC. Cancun is a different story but since you only listed PDC then its got to be Cabo!

cabo
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabo or PDC in February for a couple of single guys - HELP

You didn´t mention whether your buddy has been to Cabo before, but I´m with the Sherriff here. Cabo for a couple of single guys looking for a social scene

Save the boutique hotel in PDC for a trip with the girlfriend you meet in Cabo :)

I assume you put this same question to the PDC forum. If you haven´t, you should. Good luck with the choice

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
194 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabo or PDC in February for a couple of single guys - HELP

Thanks for the replies. Yes, my buddy has been to Cabo. He and I stayed at The ME and Riu Palace in Feb of 2010. We liked The ME, but didn't care for the Riu. Of the resorts I've stayed at in Cabo, Cass Dorada and PBSB are my favorites. But, I would only consider PBSB if I were going with a girlfriend.

At this point, I'm really leaning towards Casa Dorada over the boutique hotel in PDC.

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
312 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabo or PDC in February for a couple of single guys - HELP

Casa Dorada in Cabo sounds like the best option for you, I went to PDC last year and is too small, like TacCabo says save PDC for a kind of romantic trip :)

5. Re: Cabo or PDC in February for a couple of single guys - HELP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 July 2012, 15:35
Edited: 31 July 2012, 15:35
6. Re: Cabo or PDC in February for a couple of single guys - HELP

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 July 2012, 15:35
7. Re: Cabo or PDC in February for a couple of single guys - HELP

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2013, 10:15