We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

no ice on fish

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
louisiana
Level Contributor
190 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
no ice on fish

I just noticed a negative review about a boat that did not have ice on the fish for all day on the boat. I believe this can be traced back to the goofy rule that the fish must be brought back to the dock to be cleaned. In the past, I would have the mate clean my fish as soon as he could and put the fillets in a ziplock in the beer cooler. I guess most boats do not have the space or big enough coolers with ice to keep all the fish ice cold for a whole day fishing.

Being "forced" to use the fish cleaning station at the dock just makes no sense at all.

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,077 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: no ice on fish

I couldn't agree more Joey, and you're right, many boats don't have (or don't try to) keep fish iced properly all day. Obviously fillets take up far less room than whole fish, makes a heck of a lot more sense to fillet and ice them at sea. Some boats still do...not naming any names, of course:)

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: no ice on fish

I suggest checking with the charter operator before booking a trip if there will be a cooler & ice to keep catch fresh. We all know it's hot down there and fish like tuna do not keep well if not iced down.

I always have my fish filleted, ziplocked, and in the cooler as soon as possible when fishing in cabo.

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,045 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: no ice on fish

My rule of thumb is; bleed the fish, clean the fish, & ice the fish as soon as possible after they are caught.

Lack of care of my fish when in Mexico has always been one my pet peeves.

I've gotten to the point of bleeding the fish I plan on keeping myself before they go into the fish box, keeping them seperate & making sure they have ice on them even if they won't be cleaned until we get back to the dock.

The skipper I use in Mazatlan has gotten used to this & now brings extra ice when I book his boat.

Don't know if we will fish when we are in Cabo in Dec but if we do I will insist on enough ice to keep the fish we catch cold.

4. Re: no ice on fish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 07:15