We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Los Cerritos for a newbie to the Baja peninsula

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
303 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Los Cerritos for a newbie to the Baja peninsula

I know this doesn't exactly belong on this forum but the Todos Santos forum is so quiet! So I will try here.

Planning a trip somewhere warm over the Christmas holidays where we can do lots of surfing (myself and husband, early 30s). We are pretty much beginners, so not looking for crazy waves. Don't want to be in a big party place. So we were thinking of staying at/near Los Cerritos, mainly for the beach. Few questions:

1) Is the drive to Los Cerritos from the airport really that crazy? Is a small car better or something like a jeep/SUV?

2) How quiet is Los Cerritos? Are there any restaurants or shops nearby? What about nearby Todos Santos? Like I said we want it relatively quiet but would like some options for eating so we are not at the same restaurant every single day and some shops/attractions nearby for a break from the beach sometimes would be nice.

3) Anyone have an idea what the surfing would be like in Dec? OK for beginners? From what I've read it will be good for our level but would like to hear your thoughts.

4) Last but maybe most important questions is about accomodations. Was looking at Villas de Cerritos, anyone have experience and can anyone comment on villas versus bungalows? Also looking at Cerritos Surf Colony. Hacienda Cerritos is out of our budget and not great reviews anyways. Any other places to suggest? Looking to spend less than $120/night, "luxuries" like private bathroom are a must, kitchen/ette would be nice.

Thanks for your help!

PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,837 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Los Cerritos for a newbie to the Baja peninsula

The drive from airport to Cerritos Beach is probably 1.5+ hrs. Maybe more due to the road construction. It's a beautiul drive though. We always enjoy going up there when we have a rental car.

www.gringogazette.tv/CerritosBeach.shtml…

I'm unfamiliar with accomodations at Los Cerritos, Villas de Cerritos does look nice though. Todos Santos is very close so going there for restaurants and shops is certainly doable.

Beautiful area!

BC
Level Contributor
397 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Los Cerritos for a newbie to the Baja peninsula

I can't help you with the accommodations but I have been to Cerritos Beach many times. I have toured the Hacienda Cerritos Hotel and can confirm that it is beautiful. You might want to negotiate a price to your liking. The Cerritos Restaurant/Bar is excellent. Any car will get you there. You don't need a four wheel drive vehicle. The waves in December should be quite tame. It will depend on the day and conditions. They should be what you are looking for. The crowds will be reasonably small. All in all you should be very happy there

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Los Cerritos for a newbie to the Baja peninsula

I stayed in a bungalow at Villas de Cerritos last year in December. I was there to attend a wedding at Hacienda Cerritos. I LOVED LOVED LOVED the bungalow. Bare bones but super clean and the folks that work there are awesome.

From the airport to Cerritos, the roads are easy, but I was glad to have the Jeep once I turned off the highway. Especially leaving Cerritos Beach or Hacienda Cerritos in the dark. I felt a little lost in the desert (which is funny when you see how close these spots are to each other) but felt safe in the SUV. I see small cars out there all the time though.

Waves can be pretty big on the Pacific side in the winter. Though over the course of a few days there are sure to be some smaller waves. Last time I was out there in the winter it was pretty flat.

Hope this helps!

Libby, Montana...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Los Cerritos for a newbie to the Baja peninsula

Hello, To answer your questions, A car is fine, BUT be aware of road construction from Cabo to Los Cerritos. It is a beautful drive. We own the property at Cerritos that has the big white wall LOL. I was there in July and stayed at Villas de Cerritos. Rented a bungalow, as you are driving toward the beach, you wil see the sign. Turn in and if no-one is at the little building, drive along the wall to the end and turn right. You will see the condos and bungalows, pool ect. When we were there a gentleman by the name of Juan was the manager. You will find him very accomodating. The bungalow rental runs about 70. If you chose to stay there let him know the people with the WALL around the house sent you LOL. 2 mins down the hwy is Pescadero. From there 10 more mins. is Todos Santos. Plenty of shopping and eating there. Hotel California is there also. We have traveled to Cabo for many years and have chosen Los Cerritos to be our next adventure in life. We hope the economy here improves so we can finish our little casa and live there full time.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
679 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Los Cerritos for a newbie to the Baja peninsula

Have you looked into Sayulita for surfing? (Pacific Coast Forums)

Colorado
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Los Cerritos for a newbie to the Baja peninsula

Hi,

I can't help you with the surfing, but were also going this friday to do that very thing.

Rancho Pescadero is a beautiful place to stay. Carla is the owner, they were top rated in the sunset magazine. You can look them up online. They specialize with people who want to go surfing. Amazing place, if they have room. Last time I check with her, she still had a few vacancies.

their located between Cerritos and Todos Santos.

www.ranchopescadero.com

Hope this might work for you, have fun.

Issaquah, Washington
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Los Cerritos for a newbie to the Baja peninsula

I'm taking a surf lesson from Mario Dec. 22nd at 10:00 AM at Cerrios Beach

http://mariosurfschool.com/

Not any shopping there just Todos Santos for that. I'm renting a car and taking my time do to reports of goats in road.

Have fun!

Ron

Walnut Creek, CA
Level Contributor
350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Los Cerritos for a newbie to the Baja peninsula

You can also connect with Costa Azul Surf Shop out of San Jose del Cabo. The owner, Alex Olea, goes surfing in Cerritos often and will likely meet you up there for a day of lessons and local expertise. He is bilingual and you can call or email before you go down there. He took us the other direction, to Nine Palms, a few months ago. He brought along boards and beer and spent the day with us for the cost of a two hour lesson alone. You can check out Costa Azul Surf Shoo on facebook too - they have a lot of photos of Cerritos posted.

2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Los Cerritos for a newbie to the Baja peninsula

For the person who attended the wedding at Hacienda Los Cerritos, would you mind giving me you opinion of the Hacienda as a wedding venue? I'm from the SF Bay Area and toured the Hacienda while vacationing in Cabo last year and it was so pretty! I just got engaged and I'm thinking if having the wedding there but I've seen negative reviews and I'm worried the management is unreliable. Did the wedding go off without a hitch? Were there many guests? Any info would be appreciated!

Tacoma, Wash
Level Contributor
12,756 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Los Cerritos for a newbie to the Baja peninsula

Lrob. Since this thread is from Aug. the chances of SFgirl replying are slim. Click on her name and choose "send message". Ask her questions.

Perhaps she will see it.

Good Luck!!