We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing fish meat back to san francisco?

Stockton, California
10 posts
Save Topic
Bringing fish meat back to san francisco?

I am flying direct to san francisco when i depart cabo in mid-sept., Hopefully i have a couple of chests full of dorado/yellowfin. I plan on having the fish flash frozen and vacuum packed in cabo after the catch. What is my best way to keep them frozen for the hotel>airport>flight>to san francisco? Is dry ice allowed on Alaska airlines?

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas, Alaska
Level Contributor
5,302 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing fish meat back to san francisco?

As far as i know...no dry ice (or any ice) on the plane. And none needed. We routinely bring coolers of fish back to MN/WI with no thawing.

As long as the fish starts out totally frozen, and packed as tight as possible, it'll keep just fine. If you don't have enough to fill the cooler, use balled up newspaper to fill the airspace. And remember not to tape the cooler shut until you get thru the bag check at the airport...carry some duct tape to do it there.

Cheney, Washington
Level Contributor
146 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing fish meat back to san francisco?

Same here just brourgt back 40bls of tuna vac packed and frozen still was when we got home .They tape your cooler at the airport and mark it as frozen should be fine.

Cheney, Washington
Level Contributor
146 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing fish meat back to san francisco?

Also no matter how much you bring home it must be handled as checked luggage so no more then 50bls to a cooler Alaska was 20.00 dollars not bad.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Kansas City
Level Contributor
127 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing fish meat back to san francisco?

How do you keep if frozen solid while in Cabo? Storage locker at the marina? Resort restaurant kitchen freezer? Packed in dry ice in your cooler while still at the resort? Has anyone tried to install a hasp and padlock on a cooler and then use a TSA lock?

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,302 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing fish meat back to san francisco?

Never occoured to me to lock it down, it's just fish:)

(did i just say that??)

Many hotels and charter companys will freeze and hold your fish till you leave town. Thats what I've always done. I know the samokehouse that has an office on the marina will freeze it for you too, but theres a charge of course.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8,305 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing fish meat back to san francisco?

We bring frozen fish back to SFO every year -- no problem. Also, never had the fish stolen, so we've never done anything more than add straps around the cooler (easier than using duct tape).

Do watch out for the weight, tho. Over 50 lbs. will cost you an arm and a leg.

Cheney, Washington
Level Contributor
146 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing fish meat back to san francisco?

Slippery Lizzard Charter took care of all that and held the fish for us till we left .We worked that into our Charter and they were great about it.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringing fish meat back to san francisco?

We store the fish in the hotel freezer and bring down freezer packs.

We also pre-chill our freezer using whatever ice is in the room freezer the morning we leave. Seems to help...

Kansas City
Level Contributor
127 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bringing fish meat back to san francisco?

How about US Customs? You just declair that you have XXX Lbs of fish on your customs form? Taxes?

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,302 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bringing fish meat back to san francisco?

no taxes, no hassle. Don't need to list # of lbs. very simple really.