We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing Pesos

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
Bringing Pesos

I am looking to tap into the expertise of all you regulars, or you super wise one timers. How many of you buy Pesos at home then bring them with you. I noticed that the exchange rate today is roughly 13.8 to 1 USD. My plan was to buy about 3 or 4 hundred dollars worth and bring them with me. I know everybody takes the dollar in Cabo but it seems like better bartering is to be had with pesos. What's your take?

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Bringing Pesos

Thanks for all the good advice. I know we are stopping at Costco to get the beer, wine, tequilla and those ever so delicious key limes. I think I will use the ATM at Costco. 11 more days, I can hardly stand it.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,250 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Bringing Pesos

I never use my charge card except to pay the hotel bill. There are too many problems reported. I arrive with $300-400usd cash that I put in the room safe or the front desk lock boxes (depending hotel), and change into peso at a "cambio" as needed. Also visit the ATM a few times and take out 2500 or 3000 (as I mentioned before with no fees as a BoA customer thru Sandanders). Knock wood, and 22 trips to Mexico later, I've not ever had any issues using this method. suerte, suze

Tacoma, Wash
Level Contributor
12,756 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Bringing Pesos

Make sure the ATM at Costco is NOT a stand alone...fees are high!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,742 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Bringing Pesos

I don't remember seeing an ATM at Costco. But I do know that they take USD and give change in pesos.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Bringing Pesos

How does all this translate for the Canadian Dollar? With our fees and the difference in our dollar, are we better to bring pesos or us dollars? I just looked at BMO's rates and it says they will sell at .07991

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
820 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Bringing Pesos

you can exchange CAD cash at Airport, or Scotia Bank in CSL or SJD, or if you have a scotia account, you can use their ATM to get cash, fee was $5 CAD for each withdrawal.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,742 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Bringing Pesos

Do not exchange Canadian money for US money to spend in Mexico. You lose out twice! When you're in Mexico, spend pesos.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,250 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Bringing Pesos

Change Canadian dollar directly to peso or use the ATM. Don't double-exchange thru USD (agreeing with the post above)! ATM fees depend on your home bank. suze

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
994 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Bringing Pesos

We usually use the bank atm by dairy queen. Haven't seen much in high fees.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
108 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Bringing Pesos

Is there a Banco Santander ATM at the airport? I know they had one in Cancun so I'm hoping it's similar.