We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing trip in February 2013

London, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing trip in February 2013

My husband is taking me to Cabo next February so i can Marlin fish. Is this a good time of year for Marlin fishing? Can anyone recommend a good charter?

victoria, bc
Level Contributor
205 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing trip in February 2013

February is not a good time for Marlin. Best time is Oct-Nov.

You may find the odd Striper up to 180lbs in February, but mostly the water is too cold for them.

The Bisbee Marlin Tournament (the biggest in the world) takes place in late October, great time to be in Cabo for the party. Not so good for getting a charter as every good captain is booked.

I hope if you get one you get a couple of pics and release ;-)

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,396 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing trip in February 2013

Here is some fishing info for you....

tripadvisor.com/…23935546

London, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing trip in February 2013

Oh I'm disappointed that February isn't the month to Marlin fish in Cabo. It is my birthday present. Any ideas on where to go so that I will have a better chance to catch & release a Marlin in February?

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,155 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing trip in February 2013

Deborah; don't be too quick to give up on Feb in Cabo. True, it wouldn't be my first (or 2rd) choice of month, but Cabo is such a great marlin fishery that depending on the year, Feb. can still be fairly good.

Keep in mind there aren't many places as good as Cabo for marlin..."fair" marlin fishing in Cabo might well be pretty darn good marlin fishing many places. I would expect that if you can dedicate a couple days to it with a good charter operator, even in Feb., that your odds are pretty good. Plus, Cabo offers more bang for the buck than most marlin fisheries.

You could look into Isla Mujares (by Cancun) as theres a good run of white marlin there in the spring, but I believe Feb is too early, plus the boats there are much more expensive.

My suggestion would be to go early in the month, or better yet talk him into taking you before your birthday, preferably Nov. or Dec. And use a good charter company; Redrum and Renegade Mike would be great choices. Best of luck:)

Edited: 27 March 2012, 22:42
5. Re: Fishing trip in February 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 12:16