We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

G20 summit ???

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
14 posts
Save Topic
G20 summit ???

Staying at pueblo bonito sunset beach June 17-24...

Any thoughts on how the g20 will impact my first vacation in 2 years ????

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
173 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: G20 summit ???

So far what I have heard is most of the craziness will be in San Jose del Cabo, where the convention center is. Guests will stay in the hotels up and down the corridor and I am sure frequent the restaurants and shops in Cabo. I have also heard there will be quite a military presence, even out into the waters. We are staying the same week as you, but in San Jose at the Worldmark. We are planning to not even leave the resort till it is time to go home! My concern now is the airport and how our arrival might be impacted. Alaska Airlines had no clue what I was talking about when I mentioned G20 and if they knew about possible terminal closings (which I have heard has happened with other larger international events taking place in Cabo).

14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: G20 summit ???

Thanks for reply. I called hotel and informed me I was a great distance from where the madness will be. But going into town I expect a deal of security and army.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
76 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: G20 summit ???

I'll be there the same time but at the PB Blanco..........Guess it will be extra safe!

14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: G20 summit ???

Hope so

mimetiva
Level Contributor
227 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: G20 summit ???

I was in Cabo this past Feb. There was a

pre G20 meeting going on that time. Hillary Clinton was there as well as some German official. Well we happen to arrive when they were leaving so we were stuck in the plane on the tarmac for about an hour along withabout 4 other planes. Once they their planes took off they let all passengers out at the same time. Big mistake!! It was chaos in the airport, only one checkpoint luggages were slow to come out. it took us 3hours from the time we landed to we got to our driver outside. & thank god he waited for us - Ceilito Lindo :-)

As for security i guess since they already had left there was none in the airport but there was lots all around our planes while we were waiting for Airforce 2 to take off. oh & there was military checkpoint throughout san jose to cabo randomly pulling cars over searching.

We took our kids for the 1st time & with all the media about Mexico we guaranteed them Cabo was safe but it didnt look good in their eyes when we arrived especially seeing all the military men walking around with their huge guns. but we did feel safe. After the second day in Cabo the security was minimal & back to normal.

I wish yall a fun trip!!

6. Re: G20 summit ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2012, 11:44
mimetiva
Level Contributor
227 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: G20 summit ???

oh yeah there was even a military ship in the Sea of Cortez really close to land. We stayed at PBBlanco and many of the military or maybe they were the Cabo police, not sure, were walking around the area outside the hotel gate with their big rifles. But like i said after the 2nd/3rd day in Cabo there wasn't much security around at all. I was there from Feb. 20- 27, 2012.

i wouldnt let it bother you so much. Just be prepared for the extra security in the airport and the check points from the airport to Cabo. After that you should be fine & in no time you will be enjoying the sun, beach and drinks.

Wish i was there in Cabo anytime with the extra security or not :)

Better being safe than sorry.

14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: G20 summit ???

Does anyone know how far the convention center is from Sunset?

mimetiva
Level Contributor
227 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: G20 summit ???

The convention is in San Jose de Cabo which is where the airport is at.

Pueblo Bonito is in Cabo San Lucas which is about 25-30 miles from the airport. Pueblo Bonito is further in Cabo...so i say around 45 miles from the convention.

Pueblo Bonito is beautiful - you are gonna love it there!

That is the first place we stayed at! Enjoy!

14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: G20 summit ???

Great!!!, My wife is just concerned these guys are going to ruin our trip from NJ