We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staff Tips at Vacation Rental

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
285 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Staff Tips at Vacation Rental

We're rental a vacation home for a small group later this year. The property owner suggests a tip of $10/day/person. We have 8 adults and are staying for a week. Does $560 in "tips" sound out of line or am I being cheap?

I understand this is divided among the staff, but from what I see of the house there is minimal garden. On-site staff-wise, we've been told there is one go-to gal who will prepare 1 meal a day and also take care of general cleaning/upkeep. She may have someone to assist with a group our size. There is no butler/house man mentioned. I'm sure someone does take care of the pool on a regular (but not full time) basis.

Also, our main house gal will not be available at least 2 days of our stay (Sunday off and recognized holiday).

I don't want to short change the staff, but if I am paying her salary outside of the rental fee, I think it should not be disguised as a tip, which I believe is an extra outside of one's salary. I appreciate your input, particularly from the destination experts.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Staff Tips at Vacation Rental

I believe half of that would be more suffice! :)

Ontario
Level Contributor
351 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Staff Tips at Vacation Rental

It sounds like they are trying to pass through the maid service fees to you as tips. Depends I suppose on what the rental price is. I think maid service would normally be either included with a higher rental rate or paid separately, per day. Could be anywhere from $25/day for a small place but would be more if they are cooking or if a full house to clean. Usually you would negotiate the level of service you want and you would add a tip to the daily amount.

Lincoln, California
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staff Tips at Vacation Rental

Sounds WAY high to me too, somethings fishy or maybe the owner IS the staff! LOL

Gardening and pool service IS NOT a service you should be tipping for, thats normal upkeep of the property the owner covers, if thats the case maybe the local plumber and electrician should be included in the tip pool too! ; )

If in fact there is one woman servicing the house for 8 people I would give her about $40 a day period and ONLY on days she actually works.

Shelby Township...
Level Contributor
693 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staff Tips at Vacation Rental

That sounds way out of line to me. I have no actual experience in this mind you but it doesn't pass my "smell" test.

I would base my tip on the amount of and the level of service provided. If every morning the house looks like a tasmanian devil came through and every evening its spotless again, then ok maybe a few hundred. I think you just have to see how it works out and go from there. My gut says I would start at around $200 minimum and work my way up from there depending on how it goes.

And it was just a suggestion, right? :)

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
285 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staff Tips at Vacation Rental

Thanks for the input. My gut was telling me along the same line, that assuming a good level or service we'd leave the equivalent of a few hundred dollars US.

I'm a reasonable and fair person, I think. Famous last words, right?

Tacoma, Wash
Level Contributor
12,757 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staff Tips at Vacation Rental

I would actually tip daily. That way you can add on if you feel it is needed for extras that may be delivered ie: Tanzmanian Devil. Lol!

Texas
Level Contributor
196 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staff Tips at Vacation Rental

wow, when i cruise, i pay $10 pp per day. they serve me 3 meals a day, make my beds, clean my tub and toilet daily and even pick up dirty clothes and leave my beer on ice.

that seems a bit high to me....

8. Re: Staff Tips at Vacation Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 20:15