We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marlin Patrol - Passport - Share a trip between Aug 21-24

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Marlin Patrol - Passport - Share a trip between Aug 21-24

Anyone tried these guys yet for a fishing charter?

I have seen many recommendations for other charters but I am looking specifically at Marlin Patrol at this time because of the passport program. 50% discount is real good if you catch fish. Not so good if you don't and other boats do.

Example- 31 ft up to 5 people for 8 hours is discounted from $600 to $300.

They name several boats on their website as well as each boat's "captain and sailor".

Any comments about them?

Also, we will be in Cabo the week of Aug 18-25 for anniversary. Would like to share a boat for a day with another couple. Combining a 50% discount and sharing with another couple, this would appear a very economical trip. I just don't want to have a dry run because we went with a bad "good deal".

New York
Level Contributor
838 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marlin Patrol - Passport - Share a trip between Aug 21-24

I would go with the old adage "you get what you pay for". I don't know this outfit, but to me, the thrill of the chase and the catching of marlin is priceless. I would rather spend for a proven boat and catch marlin then save some money for what could be a questionable trip. When fishing in a foreign country where you are the mercy of captain, best to go with someone who has proven over and over to be reputable.

Puyallup, Washington
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marlin Patrol - Passport - Share a trip between Aug 21-24

I've been out with the proven guys and not done so well at times, and did very well on the lesser guys at times. It is called fishing not catching. I got the passport with Marlin Patrol in mind for October. Been in contact and boat reverved but Efren is a hard guy to get in touch with. Doesn't anwser his emails either. But you are right, the price is right so I'll give it a try. Please post a report after wards. Thanks See Ya

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas, Alaska
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marlin Patrol - Passport - Share a trip between Aug 21-24

Dave ya old one eyed gambler...:)

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
16,212 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marlin Patrol - Passport - Share a trip between Aug 21-24

Dave I see 4 little ones in your Avatar. I think you are making a smart choice.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
725 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marlin Patrol - Passport - Share a trip between Aug 21-24

I went out on the Marlin Patrol II last October and I've got to say, it was not a steller trip. First, on the way out to the bait boats the captain told me he needed $30 for bait. Then, he bought $20 of bait and slipped the other $10 into his pocket when he thought I wasn't looking. Next, when we cleared the arch and they went to put out the set, I saw that one of the outriggers was missing. I asked the mate about it and he said it had been broken for a while and the owner hadn't fixed it.

About an hour out a striped marlin struck at a bait, and they did try to raise it again but it took off. Oh well, that's fishing, right? Soon after we hooked and landed a good size dorado. Guessing about 30 lbs. Turned out to be two nights dinner for the three of us, with plenty to spare. We kept fishing, and the young mate was enthusiastic and worked his butt off to try to raise more fish, constantly changing lure colors and types. His efforts were impressive and he was to be commended. About 3/4 way through the day, though, the lack of bait started taking it's toll. Because of the captain's greed over the bait, we started running out, as you can only drag one so long before it comes apart. With a couple of hours to go we were out of live bait, so even if we had raised another marlin we had nothing to cast out to try to seal the deal. On the way back in, maybe a mile off the arch we hooked up a pretty good size wahoo, which bit off as the mate was getting the gaff into position. Then, immediatly had another dorado strike but it shook the hook on a leap before I could set it.

Overall, not too bad a fishing day, but the captain pissed me off before we ever cleared the harbor, with the bait thing, I felt a little cheated that we couldn't put out a full set with one outrigger missing, and then throughout the whole day, the guy (who could speak decent english) seemed annoyed when I tried to talk to him about his fishing strategy and what we were doing. He acted like I was trying to tend to his business, but I didn't know enough to do that. I was just trying to ask questions and learn. The mate, on the other hand, did everything he could to get me on fish. When the trip was over, instead of handing the tip to the captain for him to split with the mate as is customary, I counted out the bills, and gave the mate more money than I gave the captain. The look on his face was priceless.

I'm going back marlin fishing fishing again this year when I go back in a couple of months, but it's not going to be with these guys. This year I set aside money to go out three times on better boats from one of the more respected and better reviewed charter companies. I don't get that many chances to go deep sea fishing, so I'm staying away from the 2nd-rate outfits this time around. I did cheap last year, and got what I paid for. Screw that.

I do hope the young mate that worked so hard for us in spite of a crappy captain has found a ride on a good boat. That kid deserves it.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marlin Patrol - Passport - Share a trip between Aug 21-24

I think I will pass on the charters using the Passport (Marlin Patrol and Enrique's). There is just not enough info for Marlin and there are some "not so good" to awful comments about Enrique's. Nothing good about either.

I am taking TAer's advice and going with one of the better charters. I found the shareboard with Redrum and may have lucked out. Someone posted on Friday that they are looking to share a Redrum charter on our choice dates. Maybe this will work out perfect. The problem is that the original poster did not include contact information. So I responded on the shareboard that I am interested and provided my contact. I am hopeful he will respond.

I am open to other options if anyone else is looking for a shared charter. I have narrowed our possible fishing days to Aug 22 (preferred) or Aug 23rd. Let me know if anyone is looking for a boat to share.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marlin Patrol - Passport - Share a trip between Aug 21-24

I have a boat booked for the 21st and 22nd on Bad medicine

Central Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marlin Patrol - Passport - Share a trip between Aug 21-24

Bad medicine is a great boat!

Puyallup, Washington
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marlin Patrol - Passport - Share a trip between Aug 21-24

Ditto, Bad Medicine is a great boat, we fished with them in 09 and I think they have upgraded to a newer, bigger boat. Because of the bad reports on Marlin patrol and the lack of good reponses to emails as well as an out-of-date website, we have opted for another company also. See Ya

Puyallup, Washington
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marlin Patrol - Passport - Share a trip between Aug 21-24

Oh and Rocky, those 4 little ones live with some younger folkes, we just play with them and then send them home. The occasional sleepover really wears us old timers out. See Ya