We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabo or Cancun in September?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
113 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Cabo or Cancun in September?

OK, so I know this is a tough one to ask in either forum. Cancun people love Cancun, Cabo people love Cabo. I live in PV, I love PV. BUT, I need to go on vacation too. I am used to the hot & humid but still would like some reprieve if possible. I have a month to get away in September.

Cabo or Cancun? If Cancun I would do a week in Playa & Tulum probably.

Please share why or why not.

Thanks!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabo or Cancun in September?

We've been to Cabo twice (going again in Aug) and have been to Riveria Maya 12 times. We really love RM and I think the biggest thing would be the ocean. Much prettier, clearer and calmer in RM. if you want to get in ocean that's the biggest thing you have to decide on!! I've also been to PV once and I think the water is more similar to Cabo. The water is Carribean blue/clear in RM. Cancun is very commercialized so going south to PDC and Tulum is more tropical and laid back. Also, if you want to snorkel I'd recommend Puerto Morelos. One of the largest reef's is a 10 min boat ride away!! And the cute little town is wonderful!

Good luck! :)

everett wa
Level Contributor
806 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabo or Cancun in September?

Isla Mujeres ...thats my vote.

Highlands Ranch...
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabo or Cancun in September?

isla mujeres for sure-20 minute ferry ride from cancun-AWESOME restaurants-playa norte is like a crystal clear bathtub, safe, walkable on north side, accessible by golf cart all over. I've been to all and a quiet, peaceful vacation, easy to get to for sure.

Kansas CIty...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabo or Cancun in September?

Both will be hot and humid in September, but I suppose less chances of hurricanes in Cabo. I like both, so I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I'm definitely partial to Cabo for many reasons, but the riviera maya wins hands down when it comes to beaches and water activities. Tulum and surrounding area is great for snorkeling too. Vacation is vacation, so I'm sure you'll have fun whatever you choose!!

Hagerstown, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
2,609 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabo or Cancun in September?

Cabo is not nearly as lush (with vegetation) as Cancun. The best ocean in Cabo is near the pier downtown (lover's beach area), which still does not compare to most beaches in Cancun and along the Riviera Maya. Cancun has the city (downtown/ Centro) and Party Centro along the Hotel Zone, with lots of shopping, beaches, restaurants, night clubs, etc. All easily accessed via the inexpensive bus system. Heading further south Playa del Carmen has more of the same. A ferry will take you to Cozumel, which has amazing diving and snorkeling. Heading toward Tulum you'll find beautiful beaches, and Mayan ruins, cenotes, XCaret, and Xel-Ha. All worth a visit.

Both locations are a good choice, although personally I prefer the Yucatan, especially since you have so much time. Both will have the possibility of a hurricane that time of year.

Have a great trip!

Los Cabos Mexico
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabo or Cancun in September?

Plan another place to visit in September, both way too hot and humid..

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
14,963 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cabo or Cancun in September?

Cabo is lovely Desert Obviously very different than PV. Its a big change. I think Cabo will be more of a vaction mentality for you. Its has a great, town excellent restaurants and bars. Cabo has a gorgeous marina and fantastic fishing.

The cancun area and vegetation is more similar to PV than Cabo. If you want to feel like you are on vacation. I think the choice is Cabo.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
113 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cabo or Cancun in September?

Lots of good information. Thanks all. I'll know later this week where we land. He is leaning towards a week - 10 days Cancun area then bus all through Mexico back to Vallarta/or the reverse of that. Found great airfare from Pv to both Cabo & Cancun.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cabo or Cancun in September?

Better bars and food in Cabo. Cancun for the clear turquoise water.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
113 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cabo or Cancun in September?

I used one of the 'regulars' maps & the Cabo landscape looks a little dismal (sorry Cabo fans). I think I am leaning towards Cancun. If the weather is a fraction better than here in PV, it's good. Plus, while on vacation, the weather always seems better, doesn't it?