We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Iberostar-like resort in Cabo

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Looking for Iberostar-like resort in Cabo

We have taken several trips to Playa del Carmen and always stay at the Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal. My family is proposing a vacation in Cabo. We've never been before and we are looking for an all inclusive type resort on beautiful grounds right on the ocean, similar to the Iberostar experience. We are always wondering how Cabo compares to Playacar. Has anybody been to both spots? I know the water can be rough at Playacar, how are the waves in Cabo? we'll be taking our 7 and 11 year old.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,026 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Iberostar-like resort in Cabo

I have not stayed at PDC, so I can't compare. I can, however, point you toward the articles describing All Inclusive resorts in Los Cabos (Cabo, Tourist Corridor, & San Jose ... none in the hills or villages) and the resorts on swimmable Medano Beach. Both articles are in the Top Questions about Cabo in the upper right.

What time of year are you hoping to visit?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Iberostar-like resort in Cabo

Thanks! We're planning on vacationing in February.

Indiana...
Level Contributor
618 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Iberostar-like resort in Cabo

I've been to the Tucan and other iberostar properties several times. Take a look at the Pueblo Bonito resorts. If you want to get in the ocean, check out the Rose or Los Cabos on Medano Beach. If you don't care to get into the ocean you may like the PB Sunset Beach. All inclusive is optional but the food quality is similar to iberostar and the drinks are better. Service and cleanliness are good. Grounds aren't as extensive as in Playa but kept nicely.

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Iberostar-like resort in Cabo

Barcelo has one.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for Iberostar-like resort in Cabo

I'm in Cabo now. NO Beach/ocean is as swimmable/enjoyable in Cabo as it is in PDC! The waves are big and there is a definite undertow! If you want to go in the ocean and ride the waves a majority of your vacation then Cabo is NOT the place. Don't get me wrong....it's beautiful in Cabo.....but I saw a kid almost drown today on a beach people consider swimmable!!

Tacoma, Wash
Level Contributor
12,755 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for Iberostar-like resort in Cabo

The beach in front of Barcelo is NOT swimmable...

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for Iberostar-like resort in Cabo

Right nothing compares to the beaches at playa in cabo. Go with those expectations We love playa but we plan on trying cabo in spring 2013

Indiana...
Level Contributor
618 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for Iberostar-like resort in Cabo

They are right about the ocean. If you want to frolic in the waves, Cabo doesn't compare with PDC. The beach at the Tucan/Quetzal is on of the nicest anywhere for swimming. Even on Medano, the current is strong and the water is chilly. I love sitting on the beach, not necessarily getting in the water, so I was happy to enjoy the view.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for Iberostar-like resort in Cabo

Yes , some people should stick to the pool area in Cabo. As for the rest of us , to call medano Beach not swimmable is insane ! I have been in the water with small children many times and never had an issue. My wife and I swim out to the markers and hang out everyday we're at the beach. It doesn't matter what time of year either. As do many people. I would hate for people to read on here that you can't swin in the ocean because it's just not true. There are many places where you certainly should pay attention to the signs and stay out of the water but Medano is not one of those places. It is also why you will not find those signs. I should say that Medano is actually on the Sea of Cortez and not on the Pacific Ocean. If that's what you mean by not swimming in the ocean , I'll give you that.......

10. Re: Looking for Iberostar-like resort in Cabo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 18:18