We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Begging Cabo Children

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Begging Cabo Children

I recently mentioned this in another post and I would like to hear what people think about it........

Do you give the little children money when they beg for it ? School , school , school , is what I hear most often. How do you not give a dollar or whatever change you have in your pocket. I realize that it is contributing to the behaviour but seriously , these are young children. You feel bad and want to help but is the best way to do that by walking away and giving nothing ? One day I will give nothing. The next I feel bad and give a dollar. My wife and I had a little girl punching us whenever we walked by her. We stopped walking that route just to avoid her. I guess I made the mistake of giving her a dollar the first day. She would follow us for blocks.

Anyone with advice on this one ?

Windsor, California
Level Contributor
407 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Begging Cabo Children

I don't give homeless panhandlers money in San Francisco because they are 99% going for drugs/alcohol, but I do regularly buy the chicklets. And yes I've heard the arguments against it. My big thing in traveling to developing countries is tipping women, especially the maids, as the best way to help kids and families.

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
638 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Begging Cabo Children

The primary argument against this practice is that the vast majority of the kids don't get the money......their "handlers" do!!!

JJJ
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Begging Cabo Children

Someone once posted that instead of giving the children money, they gave them things like candy or a pencil or pen...something they could use. I know men don't usually carry purses to throw a candy bar or bag of candy into, so it might mean carrying around an extra plastic sack...but I thought it was an excellent suggestion.

The children are being used and like someone stated, the children don't get the money...they give it to an adult!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,108 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Begging Cabo Children

I can't see how giving candy to a poor child who gets little to eat, would be a positive thing to do???

Think about what happens to the child . Either give them money or don't but don't add to the problem with candy!

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Begging Cabo Children

We don't give money and IMO if you give money, you are part of the problem. Don't want to compare human and animal life, but people seem more passionate about the lion cubs then the enslaved kids being forced to beg for their handlers. If people would stop giving money to both, that would help the problem go away

I must say that the local government did a good job of getting them off the marina during the G20. So I can be done.

Windsor, California
Level Contributor
407 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Begging Cabo Children

The problem isn't the begging, it's the poverty. You could stop the begging but the poverty remains. Of course the money doesn't go to the children, but it does mean the kids get to eat. And what is a hungry kid going to do with a pencil? Candy? It's like the beach vendors, which I'm sure is exploitive and terribly annoying. I buy a few things from women beach vendors, especially the ones who look like they're mothers.

If you don't want to give them money, then how about an apple, banana or peanut granola bar?

reno,nv
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Begging Cabo Children

We do not give money to panhandlers in any country and certainly not the chicklet girls on the Marina as they are often abused by their handlers to encourage their effectiveness. We have given them food and even purchased food staples for them. We also practice what Jane M suggests-tipping maids well and bringing them children's clothes (which are expensive in Mexico) is a huge help especially to the Indie portion of the population who is typically not employed in "front end" jobs.

We also do not contribute to any resort foundations or daily tipping schemes as we prefer to make sure our tips and donations go right to the folks who earned/need it vs going to "administrative overhead"

The last few years we've also giving away most of the cash received from attending timeshare presentations. Giving developer money back to resort workers and OPCs is poetic justice and makes us smile.

cabo
Level Contributor
3,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Begging Cabo Children

If you want to give money to these kids, just know that you're doing it to make yourself feel better. You are not helping them.

If you really want to make any difference in these kids' lives, donate a little money directly to the local organizations that were created to help them, like Amigos de los niños, Niños del Capitan, The Ray Thomas foundation, Casa Hogar, Los Cabos Children's foundation, etc.

Here's a link to local charities:

http://www.loscabosguide.com/charities.htm

The money you give to the children goes directly to their handlers, maybe a tortilla or two for the kids and more crap for them to sell. I know they're cute and they tug at your heart strings, but If you're truly interested in these kids, there are much better ways to help their lot in life

That's my opinion :)

Edited: 30 October 2012, 19:25
Windsor, California
Level Contributor
407 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Begging Cabo Children

tac and oaps make a good point and I don't doubt the kids are abused, but don't you think they'd be less abused when bringing in money, or getting an apple? You're not going to wipe out the practice of these kids being exploited or abused by NOT giving them money. I'd stop giving them money if it resulted in them being off the streets with better situation.

oaps, your advice on the resort "schemes" is really good! And I'm impressed you'd turn over the timeshare money.

And as for the maids, I make certain it gets right into their hot little hands or in an envelope at front desk, because I have seen other staff take the maids tip.

cabo
Level Contributor
3,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Begging Cabo Children

p.s., riff M, remind me not to go trick or treating at your house! :) A piece of candy doesn't fix things, but it brings a smile to the face of kids that don't have much to smile about

Also, if you're walking home from a restaurant with leftovers, that's another great thing to hand out instead of money. The kids will eat it on the spot.

Oh, and Hew24, I know the punching girl. She's a pain in the a$$ and I've felt like punching her back a few times, lol, but she loves my weiner dog. Whenever Tobi's with me, she forgets to ask for money and gives him hugs and kisses :) As hardcore as she's learned to be on the streets, turns out she's still just a little girl