We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Solmar - renting from owner on VRBO?

Fishkill, NY
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Solmar - renting from owner on VRBO?

We are staying at Grand Solmar early February and have booked a studio suite directly from hotel. I noticed on the VRBO website a one bedroom is going for a lot less than a studio if you book directly from an owner. The one bedroom is over $100 a night less (which worrys me - do you get what you pay for???) I am familiar with VRBO but have never actually booked through them so I am a little scared. I contacted the owner directly and he doesn't know the actual unit or floor it is on but assured me it is an ocean view. Is this normal for an owner not to know the location of their unit? I can cancel my booking with the hotel directly so there is no issue there. HELP!!!

Jeffersonville...
Level Contributor
383 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Solmar - renting from owner on VRBO?

Sounds like a floating week. You may not be able to get the same week that you already have from him.

Lincoln, California
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Solmar - renting from owner on VRBO?

Thats the timeshare situation with a floating week and though people will say they are "owners" at a timeshare resort they really are not and don't own anything other than the right to stay there which is why they don't know which room they will get. Even people who own specific weeks don't own anything other than they know which week and unit (sometimes) they will get which all boils down to they own nothing more than we do as we can book a room at the resort anytime we like as well and usually pay less than the TS owner will have paid all inclusive...

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
920 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Solmar - renting from owner on VRBO?

Have used vrbo all over the world without problems. The discount $100 per night is typical, they just want to cover their maintenance fee. It is a float, which is why they don't know which room it is. Nothing unusual there.

I own at GS and now, with all the construction, I do not think all rooms have a great ocean view, some have peekaboos. On the lobby floor, for building 6, in some studios the wall you sit in front of will block your view because it is solid, not metal work.

Regardless, GS is great. You can eat pretty well in Cabo for the extra $100 a day.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
920 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Solmar - renting from owner on VRBO?

Also, the studios are very roomy for 2 and likely the best studio you have been in anywhere. You can call ahead about 10 days before arrival and ask (beg) for a good room, but there are no assurances, although the staff is most helpful.

Fishkill, NY
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Solmar - renting from owner on VRBO?

Thank you everyone for your input. Bearinthefield, would you happen to have the contact # ?

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
15,551 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Solmar - renting from owner on VRBO?

Booking from the Resort will almost always cost a lot more than a VRBO or Red week.com unit. I would certainly go with the VRBO Booking if you can get the week you want.

Fishkill, NY
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Solmar - renting from owner on VRBO?

This is actually for a 1 bedroom unit on VRBO and it is over $100 cheaper than the studio we were renting directly from the hotel. I am feeling more comfortable with booking through VRBO. Thanks for easing my fears!

Washington
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Solmar - renting from owner on VRBO?

Have booked through both VRBO and Redweek and had great rooms both times we used them. It is usually alot cheaper than booking through the resort. You just need to ask the person you are trying to rent from if they can get the time you want. Once they know they can they will let you know and book it. We have saved alot of money doing this. We might see you there as we are thinking of staying a week there in Feb too. We walked through the resort and it is beautiful and the one bedrooms state that they all have an ocean view.

Upper Michigan
Level Contributor
3,440 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Solmar - renting from owner on VRBO?

Go ahead and book it thru VRBO. We have used them many times and never have experienced a problem. Many timeshares are placed on VRBO because the owners (?) just want to cover the maintenance fees. You will love the Grand Solmar, we have a 1 bedroom master and go for 2 weeks there and 2 weeks at Cabo Villa.

Fishkill, NY
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Solmar - renting from owner on VRBO?

Just curious if daily housekeeping / turndown service included if you book through an owner on VRBO??