We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Grande Tips

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
114 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Playa Grande Tips

We are staying in a one bedroom unit for a week over New Years and have just a couple of questions.

Are there laundry facilities that we can use to wash everything before heading to our second week resort?

If we are staying on the Playa Grande side of the resort, are we still able to use the pools, etc., on the Ridge side?

Is there a grocery store nearby that we can take a bus to and then taxi back?

Are we able to discreetly bring a beverage/snack cooler to pools & beach?

Will we be able to see the New Years fireworks from Playa Grande? Any spot you can suggest for the best views?

We heard at one time they had virtual golf at the resort...is this true?

We welcome any other tips you may have for us & thank you!

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Grande Tips

I can help you with most of those!

There is a laundry room but I hate it! Half of the machines are always broken and the dryers take forever! You can get quarters or tokens at the front desk (we don't use it anymore so can't remember which they use)

No, only Ridge guests may use the Ridge pools- it takes a special key card to operate those elevators. You can always ask for a key and if it's not super busy they will sometimes give one to you but it is technically not allowed.

The best grocery store is the Mega in San Jose as you come into town from the airport. Lots of people have their drivers stop for a short stop. We don't grocery shop on vacation, instead we have our groceries delivered from www.whereincabos.com.

You can take anything you want to the beach- there is no drink service there but you will have to be very discreet to sneak your own beverages to the pool area. They are really cracking down on that but we each sometimes took a drink we mixed in our room down last month in a regular sized insulated cup. We order drinks too and no one said anything to us. But they have in the past.

Not sure if there are any fireworks on that side- most if not all will be from Medano beach which is not visable from PG except from the Ridge.

Never heard of virtual golf- sorry!

Hope that helps- we love Playa Grande and have owned there for years!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,928 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Grande Tips

Alternate idea for laundry ~ take your laundry to Cabo Klin on a day when you're enjoying Medano Beach. It's just a few blocks up from Casa Dorada & beach bars on Medano Beach. Here: http://goo.gl/maps/YMZR9

Soriana is a good choice for shopping, if you want to shop in Cabo. Take the white colectivo bus at the end of the PG driveway and a taxi back. Walmart is just outside town as well. Stopping as part of your private transfer to town might work as well. Or have someone else do the shopping like househunter does!

There is a mini-golf course at Playa Grande, but I haven't heard about virtual golf in Cabo.

reno,nv
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Grande Tips

We were there for new years last year and the fireworks are in front of mango deck/the office/casadorado/cabovillas etc. A less crowded viewpoint is in front of the Hacienda which is just down beach (closer to the marina) than Medano beach center as the fireworks are on barges in the bay.

There is an Oxxo across the street from the PG entrance which has the basics otherwise hop the collectivo as mentioned above that says Sorianas written in soap on the passenger side front window and take a white cab back. Sorianas is only about 3-4 miles from the resort vs the Mega store mentioned which is 20 miles away in San Jose del Cabo but is assessable coming from the airport. If you do not like the selection at Sorianas then Chaudraui is only a block away.

I second the laundry facility 3 blocks up the road from Medano beach (on the right-white building) and they wash and dry for 70-75 pesos per load. The PG laundry facility now requires tokens and costs about the same.

No to going to the Ridge or Grand Solmar as they want to keep it "exclusive".

Never seen virtual golf, I think they mean the putt putt golf on astroturf next to the gym-(you can see in on your right as you are dropped off at the entrance.

No glass anywhere and they do not allow BYO at their pools but the beach is public and does not have any vendors due to an "agreement" with the resort.

Please continue to support the PG boycott and not spend any money there as they are still extorting TS owners trying to sell their contracts.

MAKE SURE you RECONFIRM your reservation as last year they overbooked rooms on New Years because the owners (even fixed week) did not reconfirm- nice resort but slimy management practices.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
114 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Grande Tips

Wow, thank you!!!!

Okay...what about a laundry service at PG? just not really excited about loading up laundry and taking it to Medano Beach.

Weird about the virtual golf...must have been just misinformation or confusion with the putting course.

Yikes! We booked through a 3rd party. Somebody's timeshare. Do you think I can just email to reconfirm. I'm really nervous now because our booked dates are Dec. 29-jan 5 but, due to lack of flights, we cannot arrive until Dec. 30. I have informed PG of our late arrival (via the 3rd party), so they are aware of that. I was actually just talking to someone else recently who arrived an hour later than scheduled and had no room. They were out into the old part of Solmar and extremely unimpressed. They were moved to PG 3 days later but disappointed.

Thanks for all the tips. I like the idea of taking the bus to Sorianas & taxi home. We'd rather not stop coming from the airport. It just makes checking in a little more complicated.

Haven't heard anything about the extortion you talk about. Doesn't sound very cool. We won't be spending much money at the resort with all the less expensive & fantastic choices nearby.

I think for New Years, we will just wander, grab dinner and then head to Medano area for fireworks. We just don't want to get into the over-inflated prices purely because it is New Years Eve.

Thanks again! Keep em coming!

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Grande Tips

As I posted above there is a laundry room at PG. I would make sure to call and talk to the front desk and let them know that you are arriving a day late. That is a super busy week and if they don't know, there is a good chance that they could give your room away. Is it a fixed unit- meaning do you know which room you are renting or is it floating?

Even though we are owners and we disagree about the new fees that they are charging owners to sell their units, I will not let that impact our vacation. We order drinks at the pool, love the lobby bar for it's wonderful 2 hour evening happy hour and will continue to frequent those venues. I am not going to sit at the pool without a cocktail or not go to happy hour because of it. Enjoy your trip!

reno,nv
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Grande Tips

A couple of travel tips to add.

There is a classic Cabo bar called the whale watching bar next door at the Finnistera (now Sandos). The bar is apparently still open to the public till spring. It's worth a visit for the sunset and they have 2 for 1 happy hour (no cash must be on your CC).

Consider a whale watching sunset dinner cruise for a special treat (we prefer Easy ryder or Cabo escape).

The PG resort is in USD and cashless. When off the reservation try and use Pesos for payment and for gratuities and you'll save a few dollars and using national currency is appreciated. Exchange at a bank owned ATM (not a private ATM) as the rate is regulated.

Tokens and laundry soap for self service laundry (under the main stairs going into the resort grounds) can be purchased at the front desk.

Try and get your late arrival conformation in writing by email as they will be 100% booked that week. I don't mean to alarm you but this was a huge mix up last new years that was supposedly a one time problem but who knows? My wife and I arrive the day after you check out so feel free to PM me if you have any questions or issues.

Have a great new years- the fireworks were great and the people of Cabo even better

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
114 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa Grande Tips

Hey thank you so much!

We have been to Cabo a few times and yes, the place and people are amazing!

We have heard of the sunset restaurant at Finnistera (now Sandos) but understood that it had already closed. We will definitely check it out.

We always use pesos on our Mexican vacations & our credit card if necessary. It seems like the polite thing is to use the proper currency. Not to mention the most simply!

I should have clarified the laundry question. After hearing the cndiition of the self-serve laundry facilities at PG, I was wondering if they offer a 'send-out' laundry service. We have done this at another resort in PV. Basically just list the items on a provided form and for a reasonable fee, the items are sent out and returned clean. Clothes are so skimpy in the warm climate, I don't imagine that this will be much of an issue regardless.

Yikes! This whole over-booking thing does have our knickers in a bit of a twist! I think I will call and/or email the 3rd party booking agent on Monday and emphasize our concerns. Hopefully they can do something to put our minds at rest.

We already planned on having a dinner at Hacienda there just before Medano Beach...I wonder if it would be a good new years choice?

Thanks Oaps, I will definitely keep that in mind. I'm sure I will have plenty more questions!

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa Grande Tips

I would call and email Playa Grande yourselves and not depend on someone else to do it. That way you can make sure that the reservation actually got put into your name (there is a form that the owner shoud have sent to both PG and to you) and that the front desk knows you will be getting in late.

reno,nv
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa Grande Tips

yes, PG has in house laundry service. There will be a checklist and pricelist in the closet along with a laundry bag. Another TA contributor said the previously announced closing date of Jan 15th for the whale watching bar has been extended so you can give it a look if you want before they close it to the public. Another rooftop bar with a nice view of the arch at sunset is Baja Brewery on the roof of Cabo Villas (Medana beach- next to Hacienda). It is open to the public and takes cash or credit. They offered a new years dinner and fireworks special last year as well- nice view of the fireworks from there as well.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
114 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Playa Grande Tips

Thanks again!!

Yes, we have been to the Baja Brewery a few times at Cabo Villas. It is definitely the perfect location (thanks for the reminder). I wonder if you can reserve a certain table? Do the fireworks just go at midnight or before? Wonder what the perfect reservation time would be for a late dinner, fireworks & bringing in the New Year.