We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it a bad idea to bring a laptop to Cabo?

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ek
San Carlos, Ca.
Level Contributor
868 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Is it a bad idea to bring a laptop to Cabo?

Traveling with my family. My college aged son says he cannot survive without his laptop for a week (computer game design major) I don't want him to have to survive without it until he can afford another one if it disappears. He will undoubtedly end up babe watching at Medano Beach and zip lining, parasailing, etc. but says he "needs" it. We have never had a problem in the past but I feel like that is tempting fate. Staying at the PB Rose.

Opinions?

Wibaux, Montana
Level Contributor
444 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it a bad idea to bring a laptop to Cabo?

We have taken ours along to use to skipe with family at home or whatever. Never had a problem. If you wanted to be sure you could ask at the front desk for options. One other choice would be to lock it up in the case with a lock cable to something solid in the room.

Tacoma, Wash
Level Contributor
12,755 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it a bad idea to bring a laptop to Cabo?

We bring our lap-top and IPad every trip.

Upper Michigan
Level Contributor
3,418 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it a bad idea to bring a laptop to Cabo?

Ipads, Lap-tops, I phones, kindles, you cannot leave home without them.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,176 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it a bad idea to bring a laptop to Cabo?

Traveling with a laptop is pretty standard these days.

reno,nv
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it a bad idea to bring a laptop to Cabo?

We take a 10" or 11" netbook that fits in the room safe- bigger than that would have to be either secured at the front desk or hidden in the room. Resort wifi is a little slower than US standards but is fine for basic communication and browsing. Take him to Mango deck and he'll never turn it on till the plane ride home!

Edited: 05 December 2012, 23:24
Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,222 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it a bad idea to bring a laptop to Cabo?

I am bringing my mini this time, but honestly-I usually don't as I don't take time to even use it, and never take it further than my balcony! LOL

Does your son have work that has to be done while on holiday? Are you more worried it will be taken from your room, or that he will leave it laying some place and it will go missing? If he has work to do, it can be left locked in the resort safe I'd think.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,176 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it a bad idea to bring a laptop to Cabo?

I personally do not travel with a laptop and just stop into an internet cafe when I want to send/receive email or check in at Trip Advisor or Fodors.

suze

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it a bad idea to bring a laptop to Cabo?

I have always brought my laptop as a carry on for the plane trip. At the resort Riu Santa Fe (new now at the resort wifi is free all over the resort including rooms) my laptop doesn't fit in safe, so when not in use I put it in suit case and lock the suit case with small locks. Never had it stolen in four years. Seem like he wants to have it for computer game design stop worrying and let him be responsible for his laptop.

Lemont, Illinois...
Level Contributor
631 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it a bad idea to bring a laptop to Cabo?

I've been bringing ours the last five years. It is a bigger Laptop though - 17"? Never have I felt I needed to put it away. It has always stayed out. Bring it in from the Balcony and keep it locked in the room. I've never felt that something that noticable would be taken (unlike cash, jewlrey and that stuff I'm very careful of), but am I to trusting? Been going to Cabo for 12 years and the only time I had something taken was on a sunset cruise - my camera - taken from another tourist. Tricked me into taking a picture of my sister and me, without realizing it was my own camera. We figured it out later. Who knew?

Thornton, Colorado
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it a bad idea to bring a laptop to Cabo?

Take my laptop & cell all the time and most times I admit to forgetting to put them up and just leave them on the table in the room. Trusting...maybe. Air brained...probably. Worried...never. Lucky...most definitely. In 31 years of coming to Cabo I have never once had anything taken, borrowed or change ownership while in Cabo. In Denver I have had my house broke into once my car once and my office 2 times and I keep all of them locked! No wonder I like Cabo better!;-)

If the young man is old enough to be going to college it is time to say ok son it's your stuff, your responsibility and your problem. But then that is just an ol' gals opinion.