We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cabo san lucas v puerto vallarta

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
80 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
cabo san lucas v puerto vallarta

Hey guys we are going to Mexico for the first time in June ...we are opting between Puerto Vallarta and cabo San Lucas

I am not into all inclusive resorts , I want to mix with the locals , we love great restaurants , and good beaches .

I am worried it will be way too humid in Puerto Vallarta, will we be better off at Cabo San Lucas .

I am from Australia so used to the heat but I'm not rapt in really high humidity

Thanks Kim

Puyallup, Washington
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cabo san lucas v puerto vallarta

Hi Kim, welcome to the forum and our little sand box. Have not been to either in June but love both places. Keep a couple of things in mind when choosing, Cabo is a desert meets the sea climate and PVR is more tropical. We go to Cabo in the fall when the water is the warmest and fishing is at the peak and PVR in May. Cabo, if you stay in San Lucas is walkable to everything or short taxi our local bus rides. More of a small town experience. PVR is vast so we usually rent a car. Price wise for us PVR is a little cheaper for airfare and dining. It is a tough choice if you could only do one and I would always go with Cabo. You did ask this on the Cabo board. Answer will be different if you asked on the PVR board. Either way you win. Have fun and See Ya

Shelby Township...
Level Contributor
693 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cabo san lucas v puerto vallarta

I agree, on the Cabo baord most will say Cabo. I have not been to PVR, but if it is anything similar to cancun, which I have been too, I would go to Cabo everytime.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
63,557 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cabo san lucas v puerto vallarta

In the past, the Cabo forum folks have not recommended Cabo every time. Folks think that's the way it works, but it doesn't. Cabo 'forumites' try to figure out what the travelers want and then recommend that destination.

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
15,876 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cabo san lucas v puerto vallarta

Both Destinations give you great restaurants. A few things things are very different between Cabo and PVR. Cabo has a beautiful desert landscape that meets the sea and makes for a great contrast and is very photogenic. The huge waves crashing into beach are beautiful. Not all beaches are safe for swimming in Cabo. But there are beaches to swim and surf. PV is Tropical and as you mentioned tropical plants thrive in a more humid atmosphere. Very little rainfall to spoil a vacation in Cabo. PV Im sure has more rainfall to support that tropical flora and fauna.

The water in Cabo is clean and beautiful. When I was in In PV the Bay of Banderas was brown and not so lovely as the water in Cabo.

We have beautiful beaches in Cabo with a heavy grainy sand. The beaches in PV have a softer sand easier on your feet.

The area around Cabo is easy and safe to walk or drive. Lots to see and explore in surrounding towns.

Either choice you make is a good one.

Edited: 09 January 2013, 14:52
Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cabo san lucas v puerto vallarta

June in Cabo is our favourite time of year ! Partly to escape the rains on the West Coast up here in Canada. We seem to get lots of rain as soon as June comes around , and every year ! It's also very warm without the high humidity. Most years the fishing really heats up too , if you're into that. Cabo is the Marlin Capitol of the World and I highly suggest you give it a try. Spending the day on the water is a treat no matter what you're doing. There's so much to see and Cabo by water is amazing ! AI is mostly frowned upon around here. There are so many fantastic places to eat and drink , you would really miss out on the Cabo experience. Check out Trappers list on the right side of the page. You would need a few months to hit all the great places.

Sad to see the fires in Australia right now. It looks just awful. Hope you're far enough away not to have them affecting you and your family. All our best to you people in Australia.........

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,975 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cabo san lucas v puerto vallarta

Very different locals, scenery, weather............Both amazing in their own way! PV being tropical as opposed to dessert will be way more humid, which is troublesome for some-as you mentioned..........but it is definitely a beautiful setting! MAny choices for resorts in both............so it won't necessarily be an easy decision. I haven't been to PV in way too long-fell in love with Cabo back in the 70's and it's my 'go-to' place..........do remember that the Pacific isn't known for it's great swimming beaches........so look into that if you really want to have that handy, in either location. Welcome to the Cabo boards! I know my Aussie friends love it here!

Fargo, North Dakota
Level Contributor
66 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cabo san lucas v puerto vallarta

Go to Cabo first, then PV, I'll betcha you'll return to Cabo

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
80 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cabo san lucas v puerto vallarta

Thanks very much guys, I am so confused ....

I am thinking it would be great to do both now - and have been trying to find flights between the two , but doesnt seem to exist Damn....that would have been the perfect solution.... I am only stressed as probably not coming back to mexcio again .. so want the perfect experience LOL !!!

If we decide Cabo, what are your recommendations for hotel 4 star(ish)

on beach or near by and walking distance to all those great restaurants you told me about - is that the deal, you can walk everywhere ?

is the town a little cute with cobbled stoned walkways? I need to do more research and get some brochures i think

Anyway I can't thank all of you guys so much

and thanks for the concern about the bushfires ... I think its going to be a big problem this summer if you are in a rural district ..

Kim

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cabo san lucas v puerto vallarta

We prefer Puerto Vallarta. It does have a cute town with cobblestone streets, lots of low priced, but semi elegant to elegant, restaurants. The Zona Romantica is our favorite part, so we stay at the Marina by choice because it's easy to drive to Zona Romantica or use the local buses. It's obvious that Puerto Vallarta can survive (though not well) without tourists, and we like that about it.

The fancier resorts are north of Puerto Vallarta in Neuvo Vallarta, but we don't like being there--too resortish, no contact to speak of with Mexicans and Mexican culture. When we stayed at the Grand Mayan, we drove to the Zona Romantica every day but one, and while we dined at really nice spots about the Mayan property, the Zona Romantica kept pulling us back.

Cabo is definitely more resortish, in my opinion. I certainly don't dislike Cabo, but when I'm looking for what really makes me smile, it's Puerto Vallarta.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
161 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cabo san lucas v puerto vallarta

We have been to both PV and Cabo (I would go back to both)...and having been to Austrailia too, I think you might be disappointed with the ocean in PV.