We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the most reasonable way to call US from Cabo?

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What is the most reasonable way to call US from Cabo?

We are going to Cabo in March for 2 weeks and I would like to be able to keep in touch with my 86 year old mother on a regular basis. We will have our cell phones. I contacted AT&T and their cheapest rate is $30.00 and 80 free minutes. Any Advise?

Oregon
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the most reasonable way to call US from Cabo?

You can check into AT&T's "Mexico Plan". We use it twice a year, and it is only $4.95 per month (pro-rated). It costs us less than $2.00 for 10 days. You will be charged per call, but it is far less than without the plan and text msgs are discounted.. Another option would to be to go to one of the many Cantina's that offer free calls to the states (if you buy a drink). I'm certain that there are quite a few of these in Cabo (others will chime in) but I know that Cabo Cantina (on Marina Blvd) offers this service.

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the most reasonable way to call US from Cabo?

$20 for 80 minutes sounds like a great deal!

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the most reasonable way to call US from Cabo?

If you have a smart phone (Iphone of Android) you can load the Skype App, get an account (free) and call home using Wifi. It's just a few cents per minute to a landline and maybe 20 cents/ to a cell phone..

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the most reasonable way to call US from Cabo?

the magicJack works great free calls.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the most reasonable way to call US from Cabo?

I all ways check in back home from the Happy Ending Cantina.Free calls and cheap beer!

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
232 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the most reasonable way to call US from Cabo?

Have made calls back to Canada at Cabo Blue Cantina also great people also Happy Ending has free calls also. Cheap drinks and beer at both places.

Edited: 30 January 2013, 02:40
Oceanside...
Level Contributor
515 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the most reasonable way to call US from Cabo?

I am with George a few bars in Cabo will let you call home for free. Happy endings does not even make you buy anything to call home but it would be a sin for me to walk into a bar in cabo and not drink. I also have AT&T and add the Mexican plan along with text and data. So we usually just text questions home.

Upper Michigan
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the most reasonable way to call US from Cabo?

You can go to Cabo Blue, Happy Endings, Hooliganz Corner Bar and call home while drinking a cervesa for the cost of the beer. If you have SKYPE you can call home from anywhere that has WIFI providing your caller has SKYPE. AT & T tends to get expensive, even with the Mexico plan so I would avoid all text messages and just use email

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
515 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the most reasonable way to call US from Cabo?

AT&T has a text messaging plan for $5 or 10 you get to send 50 messages. For me that is enough for a week so $5 is cheap.

Salem, OR
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is the most reasonable way to call US from Cabo?

If you have a smartphone you could also download a free text app like text now or text free. You can also use them to make phone calls. We called home using wifi several times with an app called text now. It worked really well!