We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabo San Lucas

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
los angeles
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cabo San Lucas

Do my kids age 12 and 10 need a passport to go to Cabo San Lucas in June of this year.Thanks

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabo San Lucas

A birth cert with a raised seal is good for all of 2006. That is all they will need if both parents are going. If only 1 parent is going you will need some type of notarized letter also.

Belleville,IL STL,MO
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabo San Lucas

I am going down in June with my 10 year old daughter and my husband(who is NOT my daughter's birth father).

I went to the passport office inquiring about this same thing, and also searched many government websites.

Like he said you will need the original/certified copies of their birth certificates and to help make the process run faster and more smoothly, the passport office suggested having a form of photo ID for each of them as well--either federal or state issued.

I live in Illinois and it cost me $20 at the local driver's license bureau to get a State ID card for my daughter.

I am not aware of the notorized situation, but will definately be checking on this because there are laws in place to prevent child abduction!

Good luck and have a great trip!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
190 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabo San Lucas

This is what I found out from taking several of my daughters friends to Mexico with me two years ago. If the children are under 18 years old, you will need a letter certified from a notary and signed by the child's parents stating that you can take them out of the country.

If you are traveling with your own child, but the father of the child is not with you (or mother), you need the certified letter signed by the parent who is not taking the trip. They check for these letters at customs. If your husband is not the father of your child, or not the official guardian/adopted father, my guess is that you will need this letter to take her to Mexico with you. I hope this helps.

Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabo San Lucas

Make sure your notarized letters have the dates that you are are traveling on it...I would also pad it by a couple of days in case of unscheduled travel delays. .


5. Re: Cabo San Lucas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 17:18