We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way for single to hop on Fishing Charter?

Hermosa Beach...
8 posts
Save Topic
Best way for single to hop on Fishing Charter?

I'm going to Cabo with a group of girlfriends April 17-22nd and I have to go deep sea fishing! It's not even a question of not going, I just can't afford to rent a whole charter for myself. My other girlfriends on the other hand are the LEAST bit interested in fishing and I could picture them whining the whole time. So I'm wondering what is the best way for me to find a group of people to join? Do I go down to the marina a day prior and see who's going out? Do I go the morning of? Should I email the charter companies in advance? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,888 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way for single to hop on Fishing Charter?

Redrum has a shareboard and you will find groups looking like you. You can arrange before you go and that will be your best bet. I don't suggest you go looking on the Marina unless you plan on talking to other people looking like they are going fishing the morning of. The guys trying to sell you fishing trips on the Marina are not there for your best intentions most of the time. Being a female , I'm sure you will have a good chance hooking up with a couple or few guys heading out in the morning. If my wife and I were on our way down and we were approached , we would welcome you ! If you were going in June , you could join us.There are a few people that simply don't like to share. Less "rod time" with more people. I have posted previously to share and found that to be true. I still don't understand it but that's just me. Also , a post like this may get you hooked too. You may have someone PM you and offer a spot on their charter. Best of luck to you !! And way to go being solo and still looking to fish. Those girls will never believe what they missed. Cabo isn't called the Marlin capitol of the World for nothing..............

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
725 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way for single to hop on Fishing Charter?

Here is a link to a share board for one of the charter companies. Post up and see if anyone is interested. It may also be worth it to call some of the charter companies and see if they can put you on something. I WOULD NOT go down to the marina and try to try to chat someone up at the docks about this, UNLESS, you are only going inside actual charter offices. There are many people hanging around down there that will try to scam you. Good luck and catch a big one.

http://redrumcabo.com/html/share_board.html

Edited: 05 April 2013, 19:33
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
725 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way for single to hop on Fishing Charter?

Also, BlueEyedBlondie, how much can you afford to spend for a day of fishing? There may still be options for you even if you can't find a share. Also, that way you can catch all the fish yourself and bring back fresh tuna or dorado for your whole group to have cooked up at a local restaurant - in exchange for drinks on them, of course.

Boston
Level Contributor
214 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way for single to hop on Fishing Charter?

Agree with everyone who posted..get on those share boards. I don't know where you are staying but I sometimes meet people at my hotel who want to share a boat.

To expnad on Mike's answer, there are panga's for rent with a captain. They are perfect for 1 or 2 people and total cost all inclusive should be about $200. They are 23-24 ft open boats..no head. I prefer this type of fishing because I find that there's generally more action. I've also caught my share of marlin in my fishing career and have come to prefer light tackle. The pangas usually catch dorado, sierra, tuna and I've caught marlin a few times..right off Medano Beach; really fun on the lighter tackle.

The other option is to rent or get a share on a larger cruise. 28 ft+. You'll be more comfortable in rough seas, have an enclosed cabin and head. The target is billfish, marlin or sailfsh. Cabo is 1 of the best fishing spot in the world and depending on season, you have a great shot of catching 1. My wife got a sailfish a few years agoand was thrilled; though she usuully doesn't go with me.; You'll likely catch the smaller fish too.

I have only had good experiences when fishing with people I didn know but I have heard of other experiences. If you don't like the other people on the boat, 4-8 hours is a long time. If possible, try to meet them before the charter so you have an idea of what they are like. Most people are great but you don't want to be with a group of rod hogs. Even with friends, we establish rules as to who gets the rod..I take the port, they take stbd for 1st hookup..what constitutes a hook up? or up? 5 secs on, actually hooked or just a bite?..:). Go in a sequential order, whatever.. or possibly behave in a way that you'd not enjoy being in tight quarter with. Like I said, it has not happened to me, but I've heard some stories. You should be fine with the reputable charter co like RedRum or Picante. I agree that wandering around the marina is not a good idea.

Have fun. It's a great place to get out fishing.

Here's to tight lines!

Edited: 05 April 2013, 20:21
Central Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way for single to hop on Fishing Charter?

BEB,

Some great advice above. Go ahead and call Redrum and see what they have for your dates. This is last minute so you need to move fast 760-481-7667

Also Renegade Mike has a share board. You can check with him as well.

www.renegademikesportfishing.com

Good luck,

F4B

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas, Alaska
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way for single to hop on Fishing Charter?

welcome to the forum blondie!

my only advice...find some new friends:)

Puyallup, Washington
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way for single to hop on Fishing Charter?

I'd make another post asking for anyone in town on those dates and a desire to go fishing to contact you. Not sure if your current post topic will catch everyones attention. Our first time out we did that and hooked up with another couple and had a great time fishing and partying the rest of the week. Just post something like this. Share a fishing charter the week of 17-22 Apr. Really want to go but want to keep the costs down. Message me and let's do this. Also know the whole cost going in. You have license fee, bait, and tip (15-25%) but you should be able to get the whole day for $600 or less.See Ya

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
926 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way for single to hop on Fishing Charter?

I'm with ya, when I go down its usually with my mom, sister, and aunt, a girls trip, and they don't want to fish. I've also done some surf fishing on other trips (not had the chance yet in Cabo) there are shops to sell gear or on the forum Rocky has set up a "rental" of surf fishing gear, you can contact him via message to see if the gear is available when your there and your just asked to make a donation to Tooley's Charity to benefit the less fortunate in Cabo.

This way the girls can sit on the beach and bathe while you enjoy some fishing. But now that I'm thinking about it your in Cabo so your probably really wanting to do sailfish/marlin fishing. I've been there and done that and now I just want to fish - don't' care for what. If sailfish it is then the share boards are the best bet as stated above.

Edited: 06 April 2013, 07:17
Boston
Level Contributor
214 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way for single to hop on Fishing Charter?

I like to surfcast on Solmar Beach..best time is day break.

Stephen at Jensen's Tackle Shop, next to Mar Y Cortez is a great resource for gear, tackle, and advice.

He can also help find you a guide; which would make your fishing trip that much more enjoyable. and productive.

Not a substitute for billfishing but a nice additon if you want to fish.

I don't menton fishing on Solmar Beach without adding a BIG caution. There are rip tides and large waves. It can be very DANGEROUS. I make sure to be very cautious and prefer to not be alone..have another person or 3 within sight.

Great fun, beautiful spot but be careful.

BTW, if you couldn't tell, I love fishing and if I can't be fishing, next best thing is talking and posting about it..:)

Orlando, Florida
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way for single to hop on Fishing Charter?

Try prompt Charters, they do these trips in Chicago.

http://www.promptcharters.com