We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glassware and pottery on the plane

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sherwood, Oregon
Level Contributor
250 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Glassware and pottery on the plane

WIll someone please refresh my memory on the newer policy ???? I thought I just read they will no longer allow you to hand carry pottery etc on ??? However...I'm flying home Alaska airlines ( different carrier to cabo) and am hoping first class they will allow ???

THoughts ? I really want to bring home a new dish and some new glasses :)

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,018 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glassware and pottery on the plane

I have not heard that you can't carry pottery in cabin, but I'd just either call AS or use their online help-chat.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,727 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glassware and pottery on the plane

Lots of discussion on the Puerto Vallarta board about this. In reading everything that comes up in a search of "pottery on airplane" it appears that it is ONLY Alaska Air that is having this problem.

Here is one of the posts...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150793-i46-k42940…

and another...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150793-i46-k45584…

Edited: 16 April 2013, 15:48
Sherwood, Oregon
Level Contributor
250 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glassware and pottery on the plane

Travel Judy...thank you ~! We will be going to PV in June and I knew I'd read it somewhere....I guess.....the way I read it that's its ONLY a problem in PV ??? I haven't brought back a bunch of large breakables in awhile....just want to be prepared. I suppose I should just call Alaska air !

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,727 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glassware and pottery on the plane

I personally don't think it is the airline...I think it is the contractural employees checking THAT day at the airport.

I have had so many unusual things happen of late at various Mexico airports. In Mazatlan I had so many legal things taken away as did the Mexican businessman right next to me. The next time thru, they barely looked at my carry on! Most of the things that were taken away were "carefully" placed in a different waste basket than the illegal bottles of water, sodas, etc...I believe the "security" people just wanted the things that they took.

In Cancun airport I was involved in a "cash for over weight" bags scam...went right to the CEO of the charter airline that was doing this...and we caught the "team" of employees that were contracted for this airline and many other airlines...and they are no longer employees at the airport. It was a huge theft operation...think $50-100 cash for each person who they could intimidate enough to make them pay! On the flight that I reported, it was 5 women traveling alone who they decided to get rich from! Taking their foot off the scale was my first suggestion...which brought out a "cop" who was in on the sting. Got to love it.

I have had no problems in PVR airport...but then again, I don't bring home glassware or pottery...

But check with Alaska Air and see what they say. Ask them about the situations in PVR...they must be aware with all the calls and complaints!!

Edited: 16 April 2013, 16:23
Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
241 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glassware and pottery on the plane

I checked Alaska Airline website before our last trip to Mexico. It said no wood,glass or pottery allowed on carry on. We didn't buy a Mata Ortiz pot like we had wanted to. While checking in for our trip home I asked at the counter about the policy. I was told you couldn't take it thru security but you could buy those items in duty free and carry it on the plane. It would be worth a call to Alaska just to make sure.

Coquitlam Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Glassware and pottery on the plane

Last year we bought glassware & wanted to take it in our carry on home. We were flying Sunwing(Canadian Charter). Our Sunwing rep tried to get us an answer as to whether or not it would be allowed but in the end couldnt so we decided to pack it. Most of it arrived safely. BUT, as soon as we passed through security we could buy glassware from the shops and the only way to get that home was in our carry on which we did. It doesnt make sense that you can carry it on only if its purchased from the airport shop since it poses the same suppossed risk(breaking it and using it as a weapon) no matter where you purchased it. But not everything makes sense I guess. This year we are flying West Jet so I may try and reserch their policies.

Barbara

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glassware and pottery on the plane

We have brought glassware on as carry on many, many times. Either it is wrapped and packaged at the store where we buy it or we just put it in our carry on suitcase. We have never been questioned at all. The last time was in October.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
539 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glassware and pottery on the plane

Didn't have any problems with glass/pottery in our carry on's. Mind you it is a Canadian WestJet flight.

Edited: 16 April 2013, 22:08
Oregon
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glassware and pottery on the plane

We fly Alaska and we bring back glassware twice a year. We normally buy at the glasss shop and have Isreal box up our glassware, and then buy a $12 backback from him, He boxes the glassware, and then stuffs it into the backpack. (It is so much easier to carry that way.) We have never been challenged, or harrassed when entering the boarding area, or when entering the plane.

That being said, we also only carry on one parcel each (in addition to the backpack full of glassware).

One should keep in mind that there is only a finite amount of space in the overhead storage, so those that carry on two huge bags, as well as their glassware might (and IMO should,) encounter additional scrutiny.

Just my $0.02Pesos worth.

10. Re: Glassware and pottery on the plane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2014, 06:17