We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabo San Lucas or puerto Vallarta?

fairhope, al
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cabo San Lucas or puerto Vallarta?

Planning a trip for next July for a graduation present for our son. We have checked villas(no hotels) in both places and have found some spectacular ones. We will be travelling with our two sons, 18 and 19, another couple and their son and daughter 18 and 21 and 4-6 other teens/young adults, all over 18, we are looking for the most bang for our buck.....nightlife, excursions etc. recommendation? Thanks

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabo San Lucas or puerto Vallarta?

I am totally no help :-) because we like them both. We do Cabo in the fall and PV is the spring or summer. If you are planning on letting the teenagers party I would say that CAbo is more a party town. I would advise caution if you are letting them loose on their own. Problems arise when there are drugs, alcohol, etc involved. Which ever town you choose stick around on the forum and you will find lots of helpful information.

Cabo is desert and the town itself tends to have a more tourist type atmosphere. Lots to do along the marina and beach area.....wave runners, paddle boarding. The area around the marina has many shops and restaurants. As far as bang for your buck, check out the vouchers at Tysonpromotions.com for some really great dining deals.

PV is very green and lush and the downtown tends to be more of an authentic Mexican town. There is a lot of public transportation so it is very easy to navigate if you are not planning on renting a car. Again, lots of activities around the beach. PV has a beautiful area called the malecon which runs along the sea and has many shops and restaurants. It is a busy place especially on weekends with mimes, concerts, etc. On Sundays it takes on a very family oriented carnival type atmosphere...lots of fun. Personal opinion.....we like the food better in PV.

Whatever your choice is you can't go wrong. Enjoy!

fairhope, al
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabo San Lucas or puerto Vallarta?

Thanks so much. My husband and I have been to cabo but never to PV. We have already made it clear that any outside activities will include us adults as a part of the deal! The villas in PV seem to be a better bargain for all that is included. Just putting feelers out so we can have the best experience for young adults and their adventurous parents. The authentic Mexican experience is also a plus for PV. Again, thanks, and I will be checking back.

new jersey
Level Contributor
325 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabo San Lucas or puerto Vallarta?

PV is more colonial Mexico, Cabo more touristy, more night life in Cabo if that is what you are looking for. I would take PV over Cabo any day.

fairhope, al
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabo San Lucas or puerto Vallarta?

Thanks.....leaning heavily toward pv

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabo San Lucas or puerto Vallarta?

In PV we stay outside of town in Conchas Chinas and have no problem taking a bus from our resort to all the action downtown. July is not my most favorite time of year in either place....very HOT! When are we going to PV this year???? You guesssed it....July. It is so tough working around school schedules :-)

Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabo San Lucas or puerto Vallarta?

Cabo! I go several times a year. Its small, safe, and easy. There are lots of good tours and attractions, and a whole range of places to stay.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cabo San Lucas or puerto Vallarta?

For the size of your group, you are going to want to stay in a convenient place...so that you can get to the entertainment, restaurants, bars, etc. without needing 4 cabs!!

Puerto Vallarta...that would be the south side...Romantic Zone or Old Town...they call it all three!! There are many condos and villas there for rent...just make sure they are not at the TOP of the hill...map each property, go on line on the Trip Advisor forum...there are good travelers on that forum who know exactly even the villa number that you will want. It is still quite Mexican...but changing fast...and I always find lots of entertainment and fun things to do there after years of going there.

Cabo...I would think you would want to stay near the Marina area...where things are always happening. Cabo is less Mexico...(unless you do my walking tours that I made videos after my winter stay this past winter!!)...is more modern, very easy to get around...walking, bus or taxi... Tons of restaurants and bars and the Marina area is just beautiful with all the boats and the waterways.

Fishing is better in Cabo...Cabo is dessert...very hot, but not as humid. PVR will be hot and humid...be prepared to gasp with the heat if you are bothered by it.

You need to be careful in any travel destination...as well as at home...but it is VERY responsible of you to be with the kids...less things can happen that way...

For the extra young adults that will be traveling with you...make sure that you have a notarized letter authorizing you to make medical choices for them...along with their parents on the phone...in case God forbid, something were to happen to them. The consent is required...not just their parents on the phone.

Have them all get good med vac insurance...to save you lots of headaches as their caretaker. Always make sure that they have ID on them...with your villa, your name/cell number, their parents name and phone number...just in case something were to happen to them... I keep my old driver's license for this...and change my sticky note for each destination...this can save a life. Been a tour operator for too many years...and trying to locate next to kin when you have no idea who they might be can cause an injured person to pass away.

Make sure you secure their passports and tourist visas...and that YOU have access to them in case of emergency. Having then locked in their safe...won't help you one bit!!

Enjoy either destination...hard to chose...guess you will have to do one now...and next year for your other son!!

8. Re: Cabo San Lucas or puerto Vallarta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 06:18