We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Ocean swimming at Riu Santa FE??

Hollister...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
No Ocean swimming at Riu Santa FE??

I just read a review that at Riu Santa Fe that they could go swimming in the ocean. Is this a permanent thing out is it decided daily based on conditions???

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
15,318 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No Ocean swimming at Riu Santa FE??

The Ocean in front of the RIU is usually not safe to swim in. That area is prone to rip tides and rouge waves as well as a steep beach with quick drop offs. They always have red flags (No Swimming) flying to protect their guests. People do swim there at their own risk.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,932 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No Ocean swimming at Riu Santa FE??

Even when the waves are huge and swimming is not allowed, some folks think they are "strong enough" swimmers and go in anyway.

Here are two photos I found showing conditions on different days.

Calm tripadvisor.com/…39414552

Wild tripadvisor.com/…32462798 "Beach - Beach was nice but the waves were even better. But I do CAUTION anyone who might consider going into the Ocean....Unless you have major experience in swimming with large waves...stay out! Too many stories floating around where people have broken their backs, arms, legs while attempting to swim in the ocean. They might not have even tried to swim but got too close when a large wave came in and caught them off-guard."

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,282 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No Ocean swimming at Riu Santa FE??

I am generally a strong swimmer and look forward to the surf in Cancun but not in Cabo... the pitch of the sand makes its almost impossible with crashing waves, sand and undercurrent being pulled from below; I have only watched for a calm moment to quickly get wet and get out and have watched others afloat past the crashing waves waiting for an opportunity to come ashore... its only a 15-20 min walk to Medano beach where swimming is generally safer in calm waters.

Surrey, B.C.
Level Contributor
2,211 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No Ocean swimming at Riu Santa FE??

No, I would not advise swimming there as stayed there first trip to Cabo and girlfriend and I are very strong swimmers and just stood at the edge of water and rip tide dropped us both on our you know whats! Strongest I have ever experienced. Just a 15 minute walk down beach to Medano and you are good.

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
4,095 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No Ocean swimming at Riu Santa FE??

Waves at Riu Santa Fe "Knock Down" and Rescue" Video made early April 2012

http://youtu.be/0K4EDNi4pe0

Depends a lot on how well you can swim.

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
4,095 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No Ocean swimming at Riu Santa FE??

Recommend to go swimming here.

Dog and his best friend go for swim at Medano Beach Cabo San Lucas

http://youtu.be/LFTQ-51grtc

7. Re: No Ocean swimming at Riu Santa FE??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2014, 06:18