We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty free in Cabo

Ephir
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Duty free in Cabo

My Vodka purchase was confiscated in Dallas going through US customs . You must check the booze .... not worth the trouble .. Duty free rip off

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty free in Cabo

I don't like duty free either, but only becasue I don't think the prices are that great. As far as you not knowing you needed to put the liquior in your check bags, that is not their fault. If you travel at all you know the 3oz liquid in the quart bag rule - I guess you need to buy miniatures next time

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,427 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty free in Cabo

You can never take more than 3 oz of any liquid through security so you always need to put liquor purchases in your checked baggage. They even usually go so far as to remind you once you arrive back in the US (at least they do in San Diego and Seattle). This is a TSA rule so no getting around it.

Winnipeg, MB
Level Contributor
329 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty free in Cabo

I guess you have NOT travelled a lot!

Duty FREE is only good for entering the US or Canada on a direct flight to your first destination. If you are transferring to another flight, NO GOOD! That "rule" has been in effect for about 10 years! Nothing wrong with Duty FREE as long as you know the "rules" for liquids.

Have a great day:

Midwest
Level Contributor
562 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty free in Cabo

Sorry for your situation, but on every flight I have been on from Cabo, they tell you that you need to check your liquids at Customs before sending them to your final destination.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty free in Cabo

Unfortunately for you, not only did you lose your booze, but you probably really overpaid for it as well. Duty Free shops at Cabo's Airport are much higher than the local stores. Way better prices at Walmart, Costco, Sam's Club, Sorianas, Chedraui, La Europa, etc.

I would never buy booze at the airport in Cabo.

new jersey
Level Contributor
325 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty free in Cabo

If you have a connecting flight any liquids over 3oz. must be in your checked luggage, If you have a direct flight you can buy liquor at the airport and carry it on your flight with no problem.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty free in Cabo

Know the rules, figure out if you need to check the booze if you have a connection, and shop the prices. I've got some great price specials at the duty free at the Cabo airport, but not all the prices are good. The service sucks and they have a long line as they have yet to figure it out and open a second register most of the time.

Miller Place, New...
Level Contributor
26 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty free in Cabo

As of January 31, 2014, passengers traveling internationally into the U.S. and connecting to another flight are allowed to have in their carry-on baggage liquids in excess of 3.4 ounces (100 mL) that were purchased as duty-free merchandise. This only applies to products purchased in duty-free stores, placed in an intact designated secure, tamper-evident bag, and successfully screened and cleared by TSA officers. Scanning may not be effective for liquids in opaque, ceramic, or metallic bottles, or other containers. Liquids that cannot be screened and cleared will not be allowed to remain in carry-on baggage. Customers may choose to place these items into checked baggage or throw them away.

For more details about liquids in carry-on and for other carry-on baggage rules relating to TSA screenings, visit our TSA Security Checkpoint Guidelines page.

Learn more about carry-on bags at UnitedHub.com

Ronan, Montana
Level Contributor
43 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Duty free in Cabo

Am I only allowed to bring a fifth back from Mexico duty free? I think I read that somewhere, whereas when I go to Canada, I can bring back a "Montana Fifth" with no issue per person.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,888 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Duty free in Cabo

I agree with bwask !