We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gringo Gazette info...take their advice!

PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,934 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Gringo Gazette info...take their advice!

Police Step Up Shake Downs

Police from La Paz to Cabo, and especially including Todos Santos have recently stepped up their efforts to shake down foreigners for money.

People, do not feed them, you only make it worse for yourself and everyone else. If nobody gave them cash they would stop asking.

When you are stopped, and you have made a boo boo, ask for a ticket and go down to the police station later on or the next day or the next week and pay it. They will take your driver’s license to insure you show up, and that’s ok. They do not want your license, as there is nothing they can do with it. Give it to them. You will get it back.

If you have not pulled a bone head traffic infraction, just keep asking for a ticket. “Dar me un ticket, por favor”, if you want to be polite. Be polite but firm. If they threaten you or get nasty, (the police in Todos Santos are saying they will pick up the money later in the foreigners’ home and ask for your address, which is clearly calculated to frighten), write down their name, or if they are not wearing their name badge, (mandatory, but still they often don’t wear it when they are up to no good), then haul out your phone and take their picture. That’s like holding a mirror up to a vampire and they will jump in their car and scurry away like cockroaches. Guarantee, they will let you go with some face saving mumble like, “just a warning this time”.

They rarely write tickets, and for sure they will not cite you when you haven’t done anything wrong. If you have broken the law, the ticket is ridiculously small. Man up and go down and pay it.

OK, once more now, altogether, “dar may un teeket”.

This police extortion would stop in a week if everyone would grow a back bone and stand up to them.

Remember: Dar May Un Teeket

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,975 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gringo Gazette info...take their advice!

Thanks Attilla! I'm guessing things may be increasing as Christmas gets closer! The one and only time 'we' were ever stopped was years ago in La Paz-in early Dec! I figured it was their "Christmas Collection" period.

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
5,782 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gringo Gazette info...take their advice!

The cops may as well just have their own "activities" booth on the main drag and take donations. Maybe they can give out wrist bands that say "already donated" LOL

B.C.
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gringo Gazette info...take their advice!

Good advice! I hope we never have to deal with getting stopped, but it's better to know what to do.

I'm curious about giving them the driver's licence though. What if with really bad luck, you get stopped again. Can they ticket you for driving without a licence on you?? In B.C. we can be fined if we don't have our licence on us when driving, maybe not a law everywhere?

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,290 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gringo Gazette info...take their advice!

That's why you only carry your expired one. Just yesterday I went for my renewal...and the DMV and I laughed when she cut the corner and I said "to be used in Mexico now"!! She understood it!

B.C.
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gringo Gazette info...take their advice!

We have to surrender our expired licence to get a new one. I might make a good copy and laminate it for Mexico!

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gringo Gazette info...take their advice!

Great info Attilla ! This kind of info is going to hurt car rental places no doubt. Anyone on the fence about renting a car and having to deal with this will be pushed to the side of NOT getting one. I know it makes me not want to bother.......too bad this is happening but you have posted some great advice. I bet the camera out taking a picture really gets them going !

philadelphia, pa...
Level Contributor
195 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gringo Gazette info...take their advice!

thanks for posting this - we have driven many times in the Yucatan area and never have any problems, March will be our first time renting a car in Baja to go from Cabo airport to La Paz - is it more likely to get stopped on the Todos Santos route from Cabo airport to la Paz or on the coastal route - or has it stepped up on both routes to La Paz? We were planning to a lot of driving from La Paz - Todos Santos, Magdalena Bay, etc. but do not feel like paying many "bogus" tickets!

8. Re: Gringo Gazette info...take their advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 06:20