We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surf Fishing

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
alberta
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Surf Fishing

We are headed to Cabo on the 14th. I am looking for some areas to surf fish. We are staying at Playa Grande…

Thanks.

Phil

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Surf Fishing

You are at a very good beach right there. Plenty of shots at Sierra and Roosterfish. Just remember not to turn your back to the surf, always be watching the swells, sometimes a rouge one will come in and you need to be aware and ready!

alberta
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surf Fishing

No Kidding and Thanks..Its going to be a Great Adventure getting to know Cabo , and some Fishing both on a Boat then some Surf Fishing. That would awesome if i could go right out front,, my only worry is it a Swimming Beach...

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Surf Fishing

Solmar Beach is not a swimming beach. I have fished out front of the Playa Grande and Solmar many, many times and have caught lots of fish. The best time is at sunrise for a few hours. Just use common sense and respect to surf! You will have fun! :()

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
14,751 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surf Fishing

The beach in front of Playa Grande is not a swimming beach. Huge crashing waves on a severely sloping beach add to the charm of the resort, But certainly is dangerous to swim in.

Its a good idea to stop in at Jansens Tackle in town on the Corner of the Mar De Cortez hotel. They will let you know what lures the fish are biting and where the fish are. They also have some real nice T shirts hats ect.

A fast retrieve near or on the surface is best. You can sometimes see fish in the cresting waves. The birds working the surface are a good sign.

Fish the Baja TV show had a segment filmed right in front of playa Grande. There are some Surf Guides around fr a fee. Ask about them at Jansens tackle or Minervas Tackle. Pices Sportfishing charter can also help you contact a surf guide.

Edited: 10 December 2013, 21:28
Peoria, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Surf Fishing

I visit Playa Grande every other year and this past year I tried artificial lures from Jansens with no luck. I went as far as buying bait form the locals at the marina and using a large circle hook and tossing the bait past the waves free spool. Ended up with a small rooster fish. Good luck!

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
14,751 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Surf Fishing

Here is a video right on the beach in front of Playa Grande.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIHVFmdbnKs

Mississauga...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Surf Fishing

Is there a beach that my wife can relax and maybe swim in that l can also surf fish at and hopefully catch in Cabo?

Mississauga...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Surf Fishing

is there a beach in Cabo that the wife can relax and swim while I surf fish and hopefully catch.

Thinking about going down late Feb early March

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
14,751 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Surf Fishing

Your wife can swim at Medano Beach. A few locals fish by Tabascos beach restaurant on Medano Beach. So you could both be happy at that location.

Mississauga...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Surf Fishing

Thx for the response Rocky.

Others recommended the Pueblo Bonito Pacifico an adult facility but somewhat costly but do-able.

This Medano Beach area, what all inclusive hotels are there Rocky?

and

How far is this fishing spot Tabascos beach from Medano Beach.?

What action of fish are there fro end of Feb and March for surf fishing?

Thx in advance Phil