We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you know how to bargain?Haggling 101

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Do you know how to bargain?Haggling 101

Bargaining is a time honored tradition in Mexico,But unfortunately it is stressful for many norteamericanos not used to it.Many Gringos say that haggling is not worth practicing their math even if they could save 20-50% on the goods.

Haggling actually earns you respect from the locals you are dealing with.It shows that you are willing to communicate and respect their local customs.The person who pays the first asking price earns no respect and will be laughed at..Vendors have little respect for people who throw away money though perfectly willing to help them do it.

Bargaining is not an arguement,it is a polite discussion of price and should be conducted calmly and with respect to the other person.As it is not arguing you will be offending anybody by trying to bargain or haggle.

Begin by greeting the seller.Mexicans are polite.Examine the goods.Then ask how much is it.A simple Cuanto? How much will work.After being told a price,make a counter offer.I usually start with half to two thirds.If you get a sad smile or a wagging finger it was too low,If they accept instantly that means it was too high.Never attempt to bring down the price by saying the merchadise is lousy.This hurts the pride of the seller.Try exchanging offers until you reach a price you are comfortable with.If all else fails,Try walking away but take your time to give the vendor a couple of seconds to consider before losing the sale.Always says Gracias,Adios before leaving to emphasize the sale is going away for good.Happy Bargaining .Note I got some tips from the Peoples guide to Mexico

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,833 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you know how to bargain?Haggling 101

Some good tips ;) Especially about being polite and kind!

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,396 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you know how to bargain?Haggling 101

I never bargain if I think the price is fair or if I do I only go to what I would pay anyway. I always feel sorry for the people working in the shops especially the ones where I am the only customer! I am more than happy to pay a little extra as every dollar helps them feed their families.

If it is a busy store or if I think something is way overpriced, I am a very good negotiator!

Washingtonville, NY
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you know how to bargain?Haggling 101

Love it!

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
539 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you know how to bargain?Haggling 101

We do the same, get their price and cut it in half and go from there and treat them with respect as you want to be treated.

Edited: 06 January 2014, 17:35
B.C.
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you know how to bargain?Haggling 101

Good points! Lots of respect, no put-downs, just negotiate :)

Since shopping in Mexico,I have gotten better at speaking up when shopping back at home, looking for a deal. My husband can't believe I can negotiate at garage sales, etc. now, I used to just pay what they asked right away.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you know how to bargain?Haggling 101

I always ask for a lower price on goods, but am wondering if it works with excursions (sunset cruise, ATV, etc.).

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,833 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you know how to bargain?Haggling 101

I doubt excursions would bargain, but with discounts from the Los Cabos guide, The passport, etc., you should find some good prices. If anyone finds they bargain, let us know, please :)

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,874 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you know how to bargain?Haggling 101

My wife was so scared to barter when we first started going to Cabo......now she gets better deals than I do ! I will give an extra dollar or two after she's done sometimes. We have lots of fun with the locals and use the same ones quite often. They smile as soon as they see us coming , and shake their heads. A mutual respect does go a looooong way ! Have fun with it..........

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you know how to bargain?Haggling 101

Knowing what the "proper" price and what you are willing to pay are keys. And always be respectful. (Which should go for everyone, all the time.)

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,120 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you know how to bargain?Haggling 101

And only asking prices on something you are really interested in. My friends wonder about tourists who ask about a hundred things...and then walk away. The tourist took up their time..and it might have chased away another potential client.

Good article...Vancouver Pinoy! Thanks.

And never call it a flea market...My friends always say...We got no darn fleas!!