We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

possibly an interesting read from one of the trade mags.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,371 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
possibly an interesting read from one of the trade mags.

First-time visitors to Los Cabos usually find plenty of activities to keep their vacation interesting. Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo offer a range of resorts, world-class golf, upscale shopping and a vibrant dining and nightlife scene. Repeat visitors to this region of the Baja Peninsula, however, may find themselves wanting to venture off the beaten path. This is where the East Cape comes in handy — a region just north of San Jose del Cabo. The East Cape is a gorgeous stretch of mostly undeveloped coastline that runs nearly one hundred miles east and north along the Sea of Cortes.

The East Cape is an easy drive along Highway 1 and is close enough to San Jose and Cabo San Lucas for day trips from those areas. To fully explore the region, however, it is best to stay at least a night or two. The scenery blends stark desert landscapes and cactus with the blue waters of the Pacific Ocean. The main lures for visitors are the East Cape’s small towns, full of local color, prime windsurfing and sportfishing opportunities and a spectacular marine park.

Cabo Pulmo is a national marine park with one of only three living coral reef systems in North America and is about a 60-mile drive north of Cabo San Lucas. The park is a big draw for snorkelers and divers, who can view a dazzling array of sea creatures, including 200 fish species, sea turtles, whales and sea lions. In addition to the natural beauty of the reef, divers can explore the sunken remains of a Mexican fishing vessel. A variety of small boats ferry divers and snorkelers out to the reef. The marine park is also popular with kayakers.

The sleepy town of Cabo Pulmo, adjacent to the marine park, offers a few restaurants and a dive operator or two. There are also options in Cabo Pulmo to arrange hikes through the nearby hills, including guided treks that bring hikers to an ancient petroglyph site.

One of the East Cape’s earliest forays into tourism was sportfishing. In the early 1950s, well-heeled fishermen, including President Dwight Eisenhower and John Wayne, would fly into the area and land on the beach. The East Cape is where the Sea of Cortez meets the waters of the Pacific Ocean, creating a nutrient-rich soup for the fish. Anglers regularly pull marlin, Dorado, roosterfish, tuna and sea bass from the area’s teeming waters. In addition to modern fishing vessels, anglers can also venture out with local fishermen in small “pangas,” or fishing boats.

The small town of Los Barriles lies midway between Los Cabos and La Paz to the north and makes a good base for exploring the East Cape. Lodging in the area includes a selection of three- and four-star hotels on the beach. Watersports in Los Barilles include snorkeling, kayaking, sportfishing, windsurfing and kiteboarding. On dry land, travelers can try bird watching, hiking, ATV excursions, mountain biking and horseback riding.

With growth reaching capacity in Los Cabos, developers have turned to the East Cape. In the works are such projects as a Mayan Resorts property, near Puerto Los Cabos; El Rincon, near Cabo Pulmo’s coral reefs; La Ribera, the site of a major marina development; and La Capilla, in Los Barriles. Currently, travelers to the East Cape will find a number of beachfront villas available for booking.

Mentioned in this post
Los Cabos
Los Cabos
Baja California Sur, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
San Jose del Cabo
San Jose del Cabo
Los Cabos, Mexico
San Jose
San Jose
California
La Paz
La Paz
Baja California Sur, Mexico
Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
16,891 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: possibly an interesting read from one of the trade mags.

Thanks Kat.....Very informative.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,371 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: possibly an interesting read from one of the trade mags.

very sad to see all the development happening in this area! It would be so nice if they would concentrate on Ecotourism instead of more high-rise resorts that will eventually turn this wonderful area into just another hotel row! I am just glad I got to visit the area years ago, when it was just a charming little village with a couple of small resorts-primarily catering to fishermen!

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
5,797 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: possibly an interesting read from one of the trade mags.

Cartel Money has to go somewhere

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,371 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: possibly an interesting read from one of the trade mags.

Well, my vote is some other place, Naz............Baja has such amazing natural things to preserve :(

Cabo San Lucas...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
2,830 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: possibly an interesting read from one of the trade mags.

Not sure I'd want to buy in a new development that will be under construction for another 20 years.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,371 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: possibly an interesting read from one of the trade mags.

which development is that? What scares me is having seen how Cabo has grown, just in the last 20 years (not to mention since the mid 70's) and I fear the East Cape area is going to look just the same..........the natural beauty will be gone..........covered with highrise hotels, beach bars, and shopping :( and the world looses yet another naturally beautiful area.............I'm not against growth, but some areas need to be developed with an interest in preservation.........at least that is how I feel.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
7. Re: possibly an interesting read from one of the trade mags.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 January 2014, 15:51
Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas, Alaska
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: possibly an interesting read from one of the trade mags.

I couldn't agree more KatD !

victoria, bc
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: possibly an interesting read from one of the trade mags.

Thanks for the informative link- I'll be down there next week for a much needed one week break. Cabo Pulmo sounds like a great day trip to take. I will not be renting a car.. Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,371 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: possibly an interesting read from one of the trade mags.

:) thanks MNman ;)

solar..............it isn't mandatory the hotels are built on non-swimming beaches ;) it's just that there aren't a lot of beaches on the Pacific that are safe.........Solmar Beach is definitely not a swimming beach, and has no vendors.........As for the Sea of Cortez, there are some lovely beaches, but also some non-swimming beaches there as well. There really isn't much to compare between Huatulco and the East Cape/LB area. Two totally different types of climates, etc. It is still a lovely, smaller area, so if you are going, do it soon! There are a couple "larger" resorts, and of course, my dear friends' hotel......... www.fisheastcape.com. Fishing is good, and getting around is easy.

Mentioned in this post
Solmar Resort
Solmar Resort
1,930 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico