We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth getting travel insurance?

Washington
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth getting travel insurance?

I have gotten travel insurance the last few times we have traveled to Cabo. This last October I finally had to use the travel insurance. I figured it would be a fight to get reimbursed for travel expenses that we had paid for and lost because we had to go home early. It turned out that after turning in all the paperwork they issued us a check within 30 days and there was no hassle as I thought there would be. In our case I will continue to get travel insurance.

Southern California
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth getting travel insurance?

I buy travel insurance for every trip I take. Thankfully I've never had to use it. That being said....I sell insurance, so I am biased BUT I have heard some horror stories about horrific charges for air evacuation back to home for medical emergencies. My main reason for purchasing is if I have an emergency and have to cancel my trip. I have elderly parents that have fragile health and it's always on my mind when I travel. Buy It! But make sure you read the fine print.....

Level Contributor
120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth getting travel insurance?

Ayerslane, where did you get your insurance from? I'm looking now for a trip that is booked already.

Edited: 16 January 2014, 21:36
Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,459 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth getting travel insurance?

I started adding it a few years ago.................figured it was time!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,087 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth getting travel insurance?

We've done maybe 50 trips but only had insurance maybe 4-5X. We have been able to cancel or reschedule without insurance a few times, and figure that as much as we would have spent on it over the last 10 years of travel, we can afford one oops if it happens. Knock on wood. I guess if something major happens, like a death or sickness in the family, the cancellation and loss of that money will be the least of my troubles. I understand it has come in very useful for many people, but not sure we will always do it.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,459 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth getting travel insurance?

I used to sell insurance as a travel agent, and it is that one time when something bad happens that people wished they'd purchased it :( I never used to get it myself, when I was young, but now-I feel the relatively small cost makes it a valuable resource. I understand the feeling of paying for something one hopes to not need, but now, I've become more realistic. I honestly think the real eye-opener was when Newgrama's husband became ill in Cabo. The support she got from people here on TA was amazing, but so was the fact that they had some insurance to help with those incredible costs. I, personally can't afford to not take it now!

Washington
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth getting travel insurance?

I had travel guard insurance. I realize that some do not feel it is worth it. I do not take it out just because of illness or death in the family. I take it out because we have had friends who have ended up in the hospital while in Cabo and ended up with huge hospital bills that had to be paid immediately. (They ask for your credit card as soon as you get there). Also we know of people who had to be medevac out of Cabo and that costs thousands which has to be paid upfront. Our insurance will reimburse us when we get home but that is no help down there. Anyone can get sick at whatever age and I feel this is not that expensive for the peace of mind we get from having it. We got over 4000.00 back from having to use it this last trip and the insurance was only 179.00.

Washington
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it worth getting travel insurance?

KatD, Newgrama is the perfect example of what can happen down in Cabo. None of us are infallible. This was such a horrible thing to happen. When we had to fly home because of Dad I called the travel insurance and they took care of everything for me which was so nice. Even if we would of not gotten the money back it was nice to have someone else making all the arrangements to get home for us. They actually got me a flight sooner than I could get.

Edited: 16 January 2014, 23:51
Oregon
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it worth getting travel insurance?

We've flown about for years, and frankly never given any thought to "travel insurance"....until reading posts here. We now pay the modest cost, and insure. In fact, this year I bought ambulance insurance from our local fire department. $50 per year for the two of us, when a single ambulance response can easily cost $1500. No brainer.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,459 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it worth getting travel insurance?

Yes..................so many unexpected things can happen, and frankly-I'd rather have insurance now. In fact, I'm considering Med Jet Assist for future trips...............

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
722 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it worth getting travel insurance?

I have traveled to many places in the world and never bought trip insurance. I've always lucked out. But, after reading some of the horror stories here and other places about what can happen to you outside the country if you get sick or injured, I am converted. I am especially sold on emergency evacuation coverage. At $25,000 to $50,000 to get airlifted out of a foreign country, I'm not taking that chance any more. If you have the coverage and need it, the insurer will work directly with the evac service so you don't have to worry about having to pay and get reimbursed. If you don't have it, you could be stuck in a bad place with no way out.