We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo

I am planning a trip with my 22 year old daughter for the end of March. Trying to decide which section is for us. Cost is somewhat of a consideration, but mostly value. We are looking to enjoy the warmth and beaches and do some kayaking, surfing, etc. Will want to dine out, Don't necessarily need the busy nightclubs.

Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo.

Any recommendations?

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo

Here is the Cabo San Lucas link to the TA article concerning the dining scene.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g152515-s5/Cabo-San-L…

PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,723 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo

If you plan on surfing, then San Jose will be your area. A place called Zippers Beach is where the surfing takes place. All my other insight is in Cabo. Since most all beaches in Cabo are non swimmable, the beach outside the marina in Cabo is the only swimmable beach, Medano Beach. There is swimming, snorkeling (out by the arch) parasailing, banana boat ride, SUP boards. Lots of beach bars/restaurants to hang out at all day. Eat/drink and you can use the lounge chairs for free. Lots of choices for places to stay from $ to $$$$. Lots of great dining around town as well with the link listed above for your comparison.

Here's a map link to to get you familiar with the layout of the beach and the different resorts.

wikimapia.org/…46520

scroll in to pinpoint more locations that you might hear about in future responses here.

I'm assuming you have posted on the San Jose board as well to get input from those that enjoy that part of the Los Cabos area

Oops, just noticed you haven't posted on SJ board....you might put your question there as well for more responses

Edited: 01 February 2014, 22:13
Paxton, IL
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo

Thank you...wanting the best all inclusive. Looking at Playa Grande.looks like its close to the marina. Read there is nightlife.

4. Re: Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 February 2014, 19:36
Hayden, Idaho
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo

We just returned from nine days in a condo at Costa Azul, which is where Zippers is. There is a surf shop across the road that rents boards and snorkel gear. They charge $12.50/day for snorkels so bring your own if possible. This gives you the freedom to snorkel whenever you see the right conditions-usually early morning while the sea is calm and before all the tourist boats arrive. We really liked San Jose instead of Cabo San Lucas but if you don't rent a car Cabo is probably better because things are close together. With a car (get the Trip Advisor package from Alamo in Mexico) you can explore around. Snorkel early in the morning at Santa Maria Bay if it's windy or Palmilla if it's not. Chilleno Beach is newly renovated with palapas and has a real bathroom. Both are fine for swimming. You can rent kayaks in Cabo and explore El Arco-not sure if they were on a trip or independent-go early! One nice option is Cabo Outfitter's (http://www.cabo-outfitters.com/) three bay kayak/snorkel trip. Very together organization!!! They also take trips to Cabo Pulmo, the ultimate place to snorkel, but you can drive yourself there too and arrange trips with local companies. Food is expensive in the whole area, so if you get an all inclusive or condo, that's best for your budget. Cabo: Medano Beach is loud music, drinking, beach vendors. The harbor is loud music, party people and everyone trying to sell you stuff ALL THE TIME. Downtown San Jose is full of expensive tourist shops-fun to browse but I liked Todos Santos better. Check out the Saturday Farmers Market in SJ-and always shop around and bargain. They expect it and you should pay no more than 2/3 or maybe half of the first price!!! I would have saved even more money if I could have counted in Spanish and been more clever about peso conversion. The best prices are not in dollars but in Pesos-you get more for your money if you pay in Pesos but they take dollars in most places. We got a great rate at Costco. There are people to help you with the machines if you can't figure out the Spanish. Have fun!!

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,209 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo

Playa Grande is a beautiful resort and we own 3 weeks there but does not have a good all inclusive option. There are only 2 restaurants besides the lobby bar and they are not good at all. Plus it is expensive! I think about $100 per day per person to add the all inclusive.

Since all of the rooms have kitchens, you can stock it with snack items and drinks and then enjoy all of the fabulous restaurants that are within a short walking distance away. There is no nightlife there at all and is virtually a ghost town by 8:00 pm. There is only 1 bar (lobby) and except for the few corny theme nights it is very, very quiet there which we actually like.

We walk into town every night and then come back to quiet paradise!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,143 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo

Playa Grande is a good choice, especially if you rent from an owner to save on the cost. Most of us don't recommend AI, as there are so many fantastic places to eat in Cabo, and with the kitchen at PG, you can easily stock your 'fridge w/the beverages of your choice, and have dinner left-overs for lunches ;) It is definitely NOT a swimming beach! But the location is wonderful..........a short walk to the Marina and town, and about a 30 min. brisk walk to Medano beach. They do have several 'theme nights', but I haven't gone to those in years. I prefer dinner in town :)

A nice AI in San Jose would be the Holiday Inn...........a good location as well!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo

I haven't stayed in San Jose, but we have stayed in Cabo several times and we love it! We have stayed both on Medano Beach and the Pacific side and definitely recommend Medano Beach. Medano Beach is walkable to downtown, where there are tons of restaurants, shops, and bars (so I don't recommend doing an all-inclusive resort). It is also close to the marina and the mall. The ocean at Medano Beach is swimmable majority of the time and there are several water activities that you can do from the shore.

A lot of the hotels are pretty expensive around the time you're traveling, but there are a few that are not on the water that are cheaper such as The Bahia Hotel. If you do end up staying on Medano Beach, I definitely recommend the restaurant, Hacienda Cocina y Cantina. The food is delicious and the view is amazing! Good luck and have fun!

Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo

Thanks for all of your input. That will help us a lot in our planning.

Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo

Thanks for your input. We will hit the planning hard in the next couple of weeks.