We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't believe I'm saying this..

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
116 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
Can't believe I'm saying this..

We have recently returned from our 4th trip to Cabo San Lucas. We have always enjoyed stayeing at Casa Dorada because of it's close proximity to town, the marina and the beach bars. The primary reason we started going to Cabo during the winter was for the warm but not tropical climate and to golf. This year we decided to extend our stay for 3 days and moved up to San Jose to a small, quiet hotel on Costa Azul and we loved it! The change from San Lucas to San Jose was radical. I knew it would be quieter, but I had no idea how peaceful it would be. I also didn't realize until I had left San Lucas, how tired I was of vendors, time share salespeople, jet ski exhaust and crowded beach conditions. I had also grown tired of the marina area and was disappointed that the Hidalgo area streets were torn up. In contrast, the downtown area of San Jose was clean, well kept and appeared to be free of children "begging". In a nutshell we fell in love with San Jose and Costa Azul. I am sure we will return to the Cabo area but it might not be to San Lucas. It may have lost it's magic for us!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't believe I'm saying this..

You certainly want to enjoy your vacation, if it's in San Jose' then that's great! :)

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
14,749 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't believe I'm saying this..

Digger you are certainly closer to some great golf courses in San Jose. Puerto Los Cabos, Campestre, Palmilla. San Jose has a lot to offer. Enjoy it now. In ten years with all the growth it could become a mirror image of Cabo.

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
201 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't believe I'm saying this..

Love San Jose.....

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't believe I'm saying this..

Came to the exact same conclusion years ago. We always rent a condo in Costa Azul for half our trip and stay in Los Barriles for the other half. It is also a lot less of a problem fishing out of San Jose.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
116 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can't believe I'm saying this..

Rocky, you are absolutely right we loved golfing at the Puerto Los Cabos Golf Course this year and can't wait to go back. All of the golf courses we enjoy our closer to San Jose

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
116 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can't believe I'm saying this..

Rocky, you are absolutely right we loved golfing at the Puerto Los Cabos Golf Course this year and can't wait to go back. All of the golf courses we enjoy our closer to San Jose

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,331 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can't believe I'm saying this..

I also love the fact that San Jose is so much more peaceful. I have stayed at CD on Medano, and while I enjoyed the different experience, and it is a wonderfup property, if I didn't stay on Solmar beach in Cabo, I would go crazy with all that goes on. On Solmar Beach-we don't have vendors, just the beautiful Pacific crashing onto the sand, and the sounds of birds...........but-in just a short few mins., I can be at the Marina and into town for the restaurants, etc. So glad you enjoyed your change of scenery and the great golfing!

Thornton, Colorado
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can't believe I'm saying this..

Rocky I don't think it is going to take 10 years probably closer to 5 :-( I would bet the estuary has maybe 3 years before another mysterious fire gets rid of what is left but hey the marina will be bigger and gee there just might be room enough for another golf course and resort.....

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
219 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can't believe I'm saying this..

Cabo Azul is our favorite, the construction is over and we have a timeshare there, when we are there for extended stays, we use our day pass privileges to use the pool, there is less pollution in San Jose, the streets are safer, and there is no hummmmm, as a family we have made friends at the restaurants with the owners, and find it to be more modern, because it is..... and has the advantage of more real estate in terms of square footage, I love the fact we can hop in the car and go to Flora Farm, Mega, and the quiet secret restaurants of SJD - such as THE DRUNKEN SAILOR and DANTES. Not sure but many years ago, SJD was known for all the Canadians based on the 9 hole golf course, I think SJD is a GEM, based on the serene tranquility - it is suburbia - and many people such as myself love it - locals have saying that is called BAJA MIDNIGHT, it means it is 9pm and time to go to bed.....

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can't believe I'm saying this..

I can't believe I am saying this either...but I don't think I will return to Cabo. It has changed significantly since my first visit 8 years ago...when I decided to purchase a TS. As the OP has indicated, Medano Beach and the marina area is crazy crowded with pushy sales people. You can't walk 2 feet around the marina without being hounded. It really wears you down. Heck, you can't even rent a car anymore without paying an arm and leg, and getting ripped off by the car rental folks. You're not allowed to pay cash anymore and I had an additional charge tacked on to my credit card.

I was even annoyed at my own resort. The first couple of days when I left early in the morning with my rental car, someone was waiting at the entrance to harass me about doing a TS tour at another resort. What I do on my vacation is my business. This was the first year I used the Cabo vouchers and I'm sure they are a good value at most vendors, however I was ripped off at the Cata Wine Restaurant in San Jose by the conversion factor. Considering the menu prices are already inflated, this left a sour taste in my mouth.

The airfare is probably the main reason I won't return. Too costly to fly from the east coast and too many other wonderful places to travel to. Now that I've relocated to Florida, I don't really need the ocean ambiance anymore.

I will miss the new airport terminal (finally), the whales, the mountains, dry weather, and there are some really nice people here (despite the scammers). Perhaps I will return one day on a cruise ship :-)