We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort recommendations (travelling with our 3yr old)

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Resort recommendations (travelling with our 3yr old)

Hello,

I asked basically the same question in the Hawaii forum, but unfortunately it seems that a trip to Hawaii may a be a bit beyond our budget this time.

So we would like to look at something closer (we are in San Diego) and a little less expensive.

Quick searches on expedia result in vacations (flight + hotel) being much cheaper than Hawaii.

5 nights at the end of May on expedia, hotel + flight ( 2 adults and a 3yr old) is about $2750ish at Grand Solmar. $2500 may be our limit but we could go over slightly if necessary.

We would like a place with a child friendly beach. Our child does not swim but she likes to run into the water and let the water splash on her legs. I'm always about a foot away from her.

We would also like a resort with a shallow child friendly pool.

Other likes would be

- walking distance to local shops and restaurants

- Children friendly resort (as implied above)

- friendly atmosphere.

- Preferably All-Inclusive

That's about it I guess. We are low maintenance :-)

We can't do things like zip-lines, jet-ski's etc as we are with a small child, but it would be good to have access to some child friendly activities. Perhaps some interesting tours would be nice.

Note: We have never been to Cabo before. I did go to Cancun over a decade ago, but I am aware that Cancun is different than Cabo.

Thanks for reading. Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers

Renton, Washington...
Level Contributor
544 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort recommendations (travelling with our 3yr old)

Hi.

First things first.. The beach at Grand Solmar is not swimmable, and as a parent I wouldn't let my kids any where near the water. There are signs posted, and the GS staff generally discourages people from getting in the water. That said, letting the water splash up on you is doable, but I'd rather take my kids on a short water taxi ride across to medano beach and let them play there.

In my experience, Playa Grande, GS's sister resort is still better suited for Children, although neither of them are all inclusive, but do have AI options. the AI option at GS is vastly superior to the one at PG as it includes all of hte GS + PG restaurants. GS's kids club isn't done being built yet, and they don't have the nightly events that Playa has, including the Mexican Fiesta night which my kids really enjoy. I just checked redweek.com, and there are plenty of nice 1 bedroom units available from about $650 / week, which should fit the budget you mentioned with travel from san diego with ease.

Playa Grande is a fantastic resort. It's easy walking distance to the marina, and just a couple of more minutes into town / shops / restaurants. There is plenty for kids to do, although I get the impresson your little one is probably 3 or 4ish, and they have to be 5 to use the kids club. They have nightly events, some of which would be entertaining for kids and include dinner and drinks.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,551 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort recommendations (travelling with our 3yr old)

If you want to enjoy the ocean, then a resort on Medano Beach (closer to the marina) is a better choice. But with the steep angle of the beach, your 3 year old will probably be holding someone's hand when near the water. Sometimes the waves are gentle and sometimes they knock adults over.

If Casa Dorada is in your budget, that's the nicest regular resort on Medano Beach. (Hacienda Beach Club & Residences is the newest / nicest, but it's very $$$$.) Also consider older but still nice Pueblo Bonito LosCabos/Blanco and Pueblo Bonito Rose. Neither of those is as nice or new as Grand Solmar, but the swimmable beach is just steps away.

Redweek has a 1 bed / 1 bath Luxury Suite for $1,150 for the end of May; that's a bit high. But renting from an owner is usually a better deal (and this price is too high compared to the ones at Playa Grande as well.)

More details in the Top Questions on the right.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
219 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort recommendations (travelling with our 3yr old)

Check Spirit Airlines from SAN - very inexpensive.

Try Hacienda Encantada on an internet promo - this is my favorite resort with shuttle into town.

Try the Cabo passport card or los cabos guide vouchers for a discount at restaurant and tours.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort recommendations (travelling with our 3yr old)

Thank you for the replies folks.

Jim K, all the expedia deals included Spirit airlines for the lowest packaged deal.

I'll look into deals for Playa Grande also.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort recommendations (travelling with our 3yr old)

Playa Grande looks great but from expedia it is not All-Inclusive.

From you guys experience, is not being All-Inclusive in Cabo a big negative?

Also, does one need to rent a car? Or is everything in walking/taxi/bus distance ?

Thanks.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort recommendations (travelling with our 3yr old)

Jim K, is this the passport card you are referring to?

http://www.loscabospassport.com/buynow.php

Renton, Washington...
Level Contributor
544 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resort recommendations (travelling with our 3yr old)

hi Apex70..

I don't think AI is necessary, even with 3 year olds.

In fact, much of the charm of Cabo is getting out and eating outside of the resorts. Frankly, except for the best resorts, the food is average. If you stay at playa grande you can stock the room with groceries and drinks from Costco, Whereincabos.com grovery delivery, or any number of local markets.

The only time I find AI to be valuable is when my wife and I travel without the kids, and we spend most of our time at the resort drinking alcohol and eating appetizers at the pool.

just my .02

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,152 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resort recommendations (travelling with our 3yr old)

Everything is walkable from Playa Grande, and unless you really like spending the days by the pool drinking, I don't think AI is worth it. There are so many wonderful restaurants in Cabo-and yes-walkable. Check Trapper's List in the upper right of this page for oodles of great suggestions. Also, as mentioned, you can stock your fridge.............the one bdrm units have 2 baths, a large 'living area' and the kitchen has just about everything except an oven..........and most restaurants serve very large portions-so are easily 'sharable' and you may even have left overs.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Resort recommendations (travelling with our 3yr old)

We don't drink so I guess, based on what you folks are recommending, I need not worry about AI.

Cool, this is making my planing a bit easier. I started off a bit overwhelmed.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,152 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Resort recommendations (travelling with our 3yr old)

Yay! Don't be overwhelmed............we try to be a friendly and usually helpful group ;) (I take my big insulated mug to the pool with my iced tea-order a lemonade. pour it into my tea and sip for ages. Usually get a couple lemonadas a day and tip well-no one seems to care) and kids are treated with joy in Mexico!