We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What has changed in 15 years?

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
What has changed in 15 years?

Hello! My husband and I just booked a trip to Cabo. I'm so excited! This will be our third trip but our first trip back to Cabo in 15 years!!! What has changed? Can't wait!

Lincoln, California
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What has changed in 15 years?

In a word......everything

California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,500 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What has changed in 15 years?

So many more stores. Remember when there was only one little grocery store in town? Well, now there are mini markets(7-11 type) stores all over. OXXO or Mambo. There is a Starbucks, Walmart, Costco, Sam's Club, Home Depot and big local chain stores. You will see a lot more cars and traffic. The road from the airport into Cabo is nicer. The airport has a very new section and it is so big compared to the olden days. I remember when it was so small. There are a few things that have not changed...Hmm, Gordo Lele, Javier, is still making great tacos..... :-)

I hope you have a great trip.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What has changed in 15 years?

WOW! Hard to imagine! I'm sure in a lot of ways in will be unrecognizable. (Glad there is a Starbucks)! :) So looking forward to it! Thanks.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
996 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What has changed in 15 years?

The airport is a big change, remember when there was no AC and very few chairs....now it's all new and modern. The marina has changed a lot, it's expanded all the way around the bay, where it used to be kind of mucky water and no boats or just the small dingy boats. They've cleaned it up quite a bit and expanded on the west side of the marina towards Playa Grande, probably to support the cruise ships, but it's nice having something on that side now.

What else has or hasn't changed...grey mall is still there, still unfinished...Margaritaville closed...a long time ago, No Where Bar is still there, the sidewalks are just as bad as they ever were. Seems like everyone is driving nicer cars than they were in the early 2000s, I remember a lot of beaters on the streets in the early days.

...and most importantly, everything is still "almost free" or $1.

Novato, California
Level Contributor
113 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What has changed in 15 years?

There has been so much change in all of Los Cabos, I would try to see things that you remember, or seem the same. San Lucas has been a constantly evolving city rather than the fishing village it once was. You are in for many surprises and adventures. Enjoy your trip!

Dennis

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
231 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What has changed in 15 years?

Airport is modern, highway is enjoyable now that the bumps are gone, you have over 200 restaurants to choose from and some wonderful tourist attractions, you now have wifi at your hotel to update, rate, request information on vendors hour by hour...... the weather has not changed - still 85 F most days of the year. Check out los cabos guide and cabo passport for discounts.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,833 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What has changed in 15 years?

I agree-EVERYTHING has changed and continues to grow. You will be amazed. Heck-I am amazed each trip! There are good changes, and not so good changes ;) As bestdammec said, it is no longer a charming little fishing village, but a large city now. Lots more wonderful restaurants (look at Trapper's list for suggestions) tons more shopping and people doing that ;) more activities, more bright lights, more golfing...And with the new building at the airport, they also have really cleaned it up-it isn't 'scary' not and the restrooms are totally okay! ;) Lots of traffic now! Crossing a street can now be a challenge, but it is still a fun trip. If you can, get up to San Jose also...........it's growing, but still quieter and a bit less hectic. Enjoy and let us know what you think after your visit!

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What has changed in 15 years?

"Almost free" that's right!!! Can't go wrong with the weather. I'm looking forward to The Office, Romeo y Julieta's and Billygan's. I hope they are still good!?! Hard to imagine there is a Home Depot there! We are getting so excited. I will for sure give an update after our return (in early June)! Thanks again for all of the information.

Eastern USA
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: What has changed in 15 years?

Romeo and Julieta's is still good. I can taste the warm flat bread as we speak. The restaurant itself has really changed. Much bigger with a bigger central courtyard, and this spring they had added outdoor heaters, and really comfy plush seating. The salad prepared at your table is still the best in town IMO.

Along the Marina, a few years ago, the feds bought up all the one- cycle boat motors. It isn't so smokey and smelly as it used to be. Still plenty of pelicans, and the fish cleaning shack has gone. We used to watch the fishermen clean the fish there near the Navy Yard, from our balcony at Playa when we first came to cabo.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What has changed in 15 years?

There are a lot more stop lights! 15 years ago there was only one in San Lucas - now there are several. And the restaurant called "The Stoplight" is gone :-(. Back in the day San Jose had no stop lights and wow - now there are almost too many to count. If you want to avoid all the stop lights in San Jose make sure you take the toll road - it wasn't there 15 years ago either.