We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Grande or Solmar or Villa Del Palmer???

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Topic
Playa Grande or Solmar or Villa Del Palmer???

We are using a timeshare exchange to visit Cabos. We like to walk and prefer not to do AI because we like to take in all the restaurants and shopping in the areas where we visit and not just stay at the resort. We do not want to rent a car so we would like something close to town or the marina. The timeshare options that look the best for us are Playa Grande or Solmar or Villa Del Palmer. Can anyone tell us if these are all within walking distances to restaurants outside the resort itself and how the resorts compare. Any preferences? Can we walk to a grocery store to pick up some food for breakfast? We like breakfast in the room and snacks for the afternoon and then walking somewhere for dinner. It's hard to tell distances on the websites. Thanks for the info.

Red Oak, Texas
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Grande or Solmar or Villa Del Palmer???

It is not a bad walk to Marina/restaurant area. Playa Grande has a pretty decent store on site and their prices I thought were not too bad. There is also a SMALL health/natural food grocery store within walking distance. We own at Grand Solmar so that is all I have to go by as far as recommendations. I definitely endorse! Playa Grande looks nice and is at this stage a bit more kid friendly than GS. Good Luck!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,952 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Grande or Solmar or Villa Del Palmer???

Playa Grande is the most upscale of the 3 resorts on your list. Both Playa Grande & Solmar are on Solmar Beach, walkable to town but no swimming in the ocean. It seems that most timeshare exchange folks get The Ridge section of Playa Grande rather than the units lower & toward the beach.

Villa del Palmar is family friendly and the lowest tier of the 3 Villa properties. It's at the farthest "edge" (boundary?) of swimmable Medano Beach. I think this is the furthest from town.

Playa Grande centered on the map wikimapia.org/…bs

VDP ("up" from Playa Grande) wikimapia.org/…bs

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,755 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Grande or Solmar or Villa Del Palmer???

VdP is more of a family property-at least it was when I was an agent-used to put families with little kids there because they all loved it.

Playa Grande has a good Kid's club-but it isn't as much centered around children. Lovely pools, and a great location! I agree, the little store there is handy for little things!

Grand Solmar is elegant, and while they just opened a 'kid's club', it is more upscale. The Solmar Beach club is small, pleasant, and while 'over-shadowed' now by the GS, it is still charming.

PG, GS and SBC are all a short walk from the marina and town, and you can even walk to Medano in about 30 mins. if you don't stop to shop.

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
703 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Grande or Solmar or Villa Del Palmer???

This one is pretty easy. Playa Grande is MUCH nicer than VDP and Solmar is being crowded out by Grand Solmar so I would not even think twice about it Playa Grande is the best choice. It is closer to town, has nicer pools and the rooms are much nicer than VDP. The only draw back I see it that if you are trading in, there is a very high likelihood you will be "upgraded" the the Ridge, which is still nice but I really prefer the property closer to the water. the Ridge has views of both the marina and the ocean, but you will most likely get the marina view, still much better than VDP!

B.C.
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Grande or Solmar or Villa Del Palmer???

We did an RCI exchange to Playa Grande and loved it! It's an easy walk to the marina and town. We ate some meals in and went out for some close by. Great food in Cabo!! Leftovers from Salvatores are good for another meal or two :)

They assigned a room in PG on the ground floor near grass and pools. We decided to stay at the Ridge instead. They let us pick from a couple of suites. We enjoyed the more private big deck and the view of the marina! We ate and had drinks out there often.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Grande or Solmar or Villa Del Palmer???

Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions. Looks like Playa Grande will be the best for us. Will just have to decide on lower rooms or the Ridge if they offer a choice. Now comes finding a reasonable airflight. From NC they are usually $850 to $900 which is ridiculous. I'll just keep looking. Thanks again !!!

Montgomery, New York
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa Grande or Solmar or Villa Del Palmer???

We exchanged to Playa Grande through RCI a few years ago and stayed at The Ridge. One of the pros of staying at The Ridge is there is a seperate entrance to the street so you don't have to walk as far to get to the Marina and downtown. One of the cons is you'll be doing more walking to get to the lower part of the resort. If you stay at The Ridge, you may want to request building A or C - they're closest to the pools and the shortest walk to the lower section.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
77 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa Grande or Solmar or Villa Del Palmer???

It depends on your preference the sol mar is upscale but you're not in the heart of Cabo, while the villa del palmar is family friendly you have all the great restaurants, the office, Edith's, bar esquina??? And the bars at the beach... Priceless, you're too far at the sol mar, but closer to town like rips bar, Cabo Wabo. mandala, and the nowhere bar ??? I'm 43 but I like Medano beach it's a hop skip and jump from town and a walk from the beach bars! If you want to relax SM but if you have to cut loose and have fun with your mate then hands down stay on madano beach! Go to Tabasco's bar at the left of Medano beach and ask for hector the connector he's the best guide for activities, and fun! Whatever choice you make you can't go wrong it's Cabo!! Enjoy !!!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
77 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa Grande or Solmar or Villa Del Palmer???

It depends on your preference the sol mar is upscale but you're not in the heart of Cabo, while the villa del palmar is family friendly you have all the great restaurants, the office, Edith's, bar esquina??? And the bars at the beach... Priceless, you're too far at the sol mar, but closer to town like rips bar, Cabo Wabo. mandala, and the nowhere bar ??? I'm 43 but I like Medano beach it's a hop skip and jump from town and a walk from the beach bars! If you want to relax SM but if you have to cut loose and have fun with your mate then hands down stay on madano beach! Go to Tabasco's bar at the left of Medano beach and ask for hector the connector he's the best guide for activities, and fun! Whatever choice you make you can't go wrong it's Cabo!! Enjoy !!!

10. Re: Playa Grande or Solmar or Villa Del Palmer???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2015, 04:50