We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you like the Baja Night Sky

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,749 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
If you like the Baja Night Sky

here is more info. from the BPE........(Baja Pony Express) I wish I was going to be able to see these.............

BAJA NIGHT SKY #61: The Lyrids meteor shower begins this week and peaks before dawn on Tuesday, April 22. The last quarter moon will reduce the number of visible meteors somewhat. The bright star Vega in the constellation Lyra rises about 11pm in the east, and will be high overhead from 3 to 6am. Trace meteor paths backward and most will appear to come from this constellation in the sky. These meteors come from debris left in its orbit by comet Thatcher, which last visited Earth in 1861 as it circled the sun and headed back out into space. Humans have been watching meteor showers from debris left in Thatcher's orbit for at least 2700 years according to records left by Chinese astronomers. On spaceship Earth, we are traveling more than 67,000 mph in our orbit around the sun. Lyrid meteors cross our path each April going about 110,000 mph. Somewhat like automobiles, we have front and back windshields -- or meteor shields -- of protective atmosphere. During early evening we are looking out the back window of our speeding spaceship. When we look in the same direction during early-morning hours, we are looking through the front window. This is when we are most likely to see meteors, usually the size of grains of sand, crash into the atmosphere and burn up. If you are sleeping on your patio or roof these warm nights, look for Vega; watch for meteors coming from its direction. Like eclipses, meteors were thought to portend future events. A.E. Thatcher of New York discovered this comet on April 4, 1861, a week before the beginning of the Civil War, an interesting coincidence. For history buffs, the second link below takes you to a letter from the great astronomer Herschel to Thatcher with his congratulations. Herschel built 400 telescopes during his life, including a monster 40 feet long and more than a meter in diameter. He discovered the planet Uranus, several moons of Saturn, hundreds of binary stars, and with his son and sister, thousands of "nebula," many later found to be other galaxies in 1923. For more Lyrid information: earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/…where . For the Herschel letter :http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html? res=F00F16FC3F551A7493CAAB1789D85F448784F9 Adios amigos. Until November, for dark, clear skies, Tom S.

indiana
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you like the Baja Night Sky

Thanks for the heads up! haha, pun intended. I'll be in Baja for this meteor shower, I hope I can stay awake to see it!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,749 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you like the Baja Night Sky

jajajaja ;) love the pun! It sure would be nice if the meteor showers didn't usually happen after 2AM!

3. Re: If you like the Baja Night Sky

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2015, 06:16