We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fresh fruit/Salad - get sick?

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
806 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Fresh fruit/Salad - get sick?

I was surprised to read some trip reports of people pulling off to the side of the road when they arrived for fresh fruit and ceviche. I was taught if it's not boiled or in a peel you shoudn't eat fruits, veggies, etc.

I LOVE fruits and salads and miss them tremendously when traveling but got traveler's diarrhea in Punta Cana even with being very careful. ARe the rules different in Cabo?

Do people eat fruit? Veggies? Water that is not bottled?

New York
Level Contributor
837 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fresh fruit/Salad - get sick?

Just met someone on beach yesterday who got a parasite last year that they attributed to salad. They were sick for 6 weeks. Word from doctor was to avoid salad down here. But plenty of people probably have salad with no problems.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,237 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fresh fruit/Salad - get sick?

I eat all the fruit & veggies that I can get my hands on! Mango, pineapple, watermelon, cantaloupe, bananas, papayas, avocados, jicama, Mexican squash, tomatoes, limes....

Hotel tap water is usually desalinated. House water at a restaurant is from huge 5 gallon jugs. I am happy to drink either of those without any issues. But sometimes I buy a quart of cold bottled water from a pharmacy or corner store when I'm out & about.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
465 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fresh fruit/Salad - get sick?

Would fruit/veggies from Walmart fall into a different category than street cart fruits/veggies? I have a tendency to get sick as well but can't live without fresh fruit and veggies.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,711 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fresh fruit/Salad - get sick?

Like PNW, I eat the fruit and veggies when I'm out for meals, and drink the tap water at my resort and house water in the restaurants. I also pick up a bottle of water occasionally at a farmacia if I'm out wandering and get thirsty..............have been doing this for many years now-though back in the very early days (70's-80's) I didn't.

Washingtonville, NY
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fresh fruit/Salad - get sick?

Met a bunch of girls at CV in March that had fruit from the cart on the beach almost every day. They didn't seem to have any troubles.

Oregon
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fresh fruit/Salad - get sick?

We purchase fresh fruit cups at least every other day from one of the carts. Never had a problem, and it is peeled and sliced fresh, while you watch. Too....don't be afraid to have them add spices to it! Fresh Pineapple with chili powder on it sounds odd, but it is delicious!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,711 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fresh fruit/Salad - get sick?

I agree-adding that chili powder to the fruit makes it even better! Luckily-we have a deli up here that occasionally even has it like that! YUM

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25,252 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fresh fruit/Salad - get sick?

I try and stick to fruits that have a peel, which most of if not all that other posters mention that they eat do.

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fresh fruit/Salad - get sick?

Well are strawberries ok if they are blended with tequila or rum? We drink the water and eat all the veggies and fruit.

Oregon
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fresh fruit/Salad - get sick?

Carl....only if they are blended with tequila.....otherwise, if blended with rum, they make your clothes fall off!