We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing Report - April 24

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,848 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing Report - April 24

This day the Marina was closed until about 8 am. Not a good start for many. There were anglers standing around in hopes that the winds would die down and the lightening would stop.

At about 8:30 i wandered over to dock #3 where the Blue Marlin is kept. There were captains and mates from a few boats sitting back relaxing. I asked what they were doing and they told me a lot of customers had gone away. I sat with them for a few minutes until a light went "on". I then said " why dont we go out now instead of Saturday" ? They said sure.

I ran up the hill to Solmar , grabbed my wife and son , packed a few quick things and jumped in a cab to get us there a little quicker.

We were back on the boat just after 9.

Shortly after passing the arch we stopped. Jig the bottom they said. Ok , no problem. First try we got a Bonita , then another , and a green jack...good eating.

We trolled live bait for a bit until i hit a good one ! A pretty big Jack Crevalle. What a fight. Had it to the boat a few times but it kept diving. About 20 minutes of this until "pop" broke the line...what a drag !

Now heading out a bit trolling bigger lures , about 10 minutes in , a Marlin ! How cool is that. The boat not far from us was bringing in its second Wahoo of the day ! I would trade in a heartbeat. Luis said they ended up with 3 of them ! OMG !!!

So we bombed back in to the lighthouse area and trolled some homemade little pink hoochies. Sierra time ! I got the first one. My wife and boy the second , and i a third. What a day ! The fist Sierra i got was 11-12 lbs. The biggest one they have ever had in the boat. Most are a typical 5-7 lbs.

We saw whales , a hammerhead shark , turtles , and oodles of fish. The last minute "unplanned" day was one of the better. I got pictures and video with my son and a good range of species not to mention the Marlin !

I would suggest to all you people booked to go out , if the Marina is closed , be patient. You may miss out on one heck of a day. After a storm can be quite good. And for those of you that thought it was a waste , thank you !!!!

Happy Fishing...

Upper Michigan
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing Report - April 24

Nice, now go have a maggie at Hooliganz.

New York
Level Contributor
837 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing Report - April 24

Excellent report, glad you were able to get out! Did you see the marlin or actually land it?

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,848 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing Report - April 24

Landed everything other than the Jack Crevalle. I have pics and vid of my boy with the Marlin...it hammered the lure unseen.

I forgot to mention our "blooper". We were into the Sierra and i hooked another. I let it free spool of course before i hit the drag and set the hook. I still had by thumb on the spool and tried to slow it down as it was peeling pretty good. Man did i burn my thumb on that braided line. Anyhow , looking in the distance , the Panga that recently passed us was slowing and turning sidways. I caught a Pangafish ! How many people can say that ? It did get off , i lost it but did get back all the line minus the hook.

Upper Michigan
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing Report - April 24

You know enough not to put your thumb on a screaming reel. What do you think you are catching, northern pike or walleye. I did that this past Sunday on a 14lb steelehead with 8lb test before I decided that it was not in my best interest.

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
14,453 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing Report - April 24

"The Old man and the Sea" captain had a similar problem. You guys just need hands like a bricklayer. : }

Edited: 25 April 2014, 22:21
Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,848 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing Report - April 24

No species like that in BC Mijo....but there are Steelhead and all kinds of Salmon. I use similar reels and the trick to landing those 40-50 lb'ers is knowing when to "thumb" the reel. I do have a 44 lb Spring (Chinook) out of the river under my belt.

It seems i do not know when to do it in Mexico ! And in the Sea/Ocean is also different. Nothing like a good battle scar to go with a fish story...oh right , it was a Panga not a fish ! I will tell a good story when i get home though !

Tracy, California
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing Report - April 24

we are heading there tomorrow and wanted to go fishing, any suggestions for us first timers

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,057 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishing Report - April 24

Smile, have a good and cheerful attitude, keep your expectations reasonable...and be thankful for whatever the sea decides to share with you:)

South Bend...
Level Contributor
102 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fishing Report - April 24

Sounds like an awesome day, congrats!

Upper Michigan
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fishing Report - April 24

I like El Budster for going out deep and Victor on the Santi Sportfishing for panga fishing. Both have websites and tell them Capt Mike sent you.