We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pesos? Travelers checks? Credit card? US currency?

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Pesos? Travelers checks? Credit card? US currency?

What do you use? We are 3 weeks away from our 1st trip to Cabo in nearly 15 years (and our 3rd trip total to Cabo). Basically, it seems like a brand new vacation and honeymoon (18 years ago) all over again. What do you use for payments? Do you get pesos or traveler checks ahead of time? We only own one credit card. Thanks in advanced.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,774 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pesos? Travelers checks? Credit card? US currency?

Hi Annyka

There are lots of "correct" ways to spend money in Cabo. The two easiest are to spend pesos and to spend USD. Travelers Checks would be pretty tough ~ don't know who takes them any longer. Credit cards might have a foreign transaction fee and might be compromised by unscrupulous vendors/waiters.

I prefer to spend pesos whenever possible. I get them from a bank ATM with my BofA debit card. Some folks exchange their USD at the hotel front desk (not all hotels do this.) Some folks exchange their USD at a local cambio (money exchange.) Some folks get their pesos at home from a local bank.

You can spend USD in lots of places, but you may not get the best value.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pesos? Travelers checks? Credit card? US currency?

Thank you!!! We will do mostly pesos then.

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,317 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pesos? Travelers checks? Credit card? US currency?

If you can still get traveler's checks and your resort will cash them for you, I am still one that thinks that this is the easiest and safest way to deal with money in Cabo. Sadly, our bank stopped carrying them about 2 years ago. It was so easy just to stop at the front desk of our resort (Playa Grande & PB Rose& Blanco) and exchange for pesos whenever we were getting low. Then just deposit whatever we didn't use bank into our account.

Now we take some cash and get pesos from a bank atm when we need more. It works well but not as well as travelers checks imo.

Arizona
Level Contributor
878 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pesos? Travelers checks? Credit card? US currency?

we use our CC at the resort for all those resort charges, and pay cash USD for everything else. never been a problem using USD, altho some places will give you change in pesos, we use those for room tips for housekeeping.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Pesos? Travelers checks? Credit card? US currency?

We are still travelers check users from the stone age it seems and cash them in at the resort for Pesos we stay at Playa Grande and Grand Solmar. We bring an assortment of ones, fives and tens for tips and cabs but do also bring down a few hundred USD of Pesos just to get us started.

Edited: 09 May 2014, 20:44
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Pesos? Travelers checks? Credit card? US currency?

We got back yesterday (5/8/14) from 4 days in Cabo. We exchanged USD for MXD at the airport at a rate of $1 to $10.41 peso's and on the way home the exchange was MXD $14.02 for $1. Most of the places wanted USD;s and seemed disappointed when I pulled out the MXD. We could only spend MXD in the Cabo airport, we were in an all inclusive resort so I can't say if the hotel had to take MXD or not, but never the less we had a great time and next time i will take a few peso's with me and have the rest of money in USD.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pesos? Travelers checks? Credit card? US currency?

All great information! Thanks again!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pesos? Travelers checks? Credit card? US currency?

"Most of the places wanted USD;s" - they say that so they can overcharge you :))

9. Re: Pesos? Travelers checks? Credit card? US currency?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 05:17