We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa grande questions? Other resort recommendations

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wayne, NJ
Level Contributor
44 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Playa grande questions? Other resort recommendations

We are looking at playa grande to stay for a week the end of July. We are a couple in our early 30's. Last year we were at the RIU Santa Fe and did not like it.(food, service , rooms and location terrible) I have found low rates for that time and was hesitant that there may be construction or something going on. I found a rate of $164/night for a deluxe ocean view room. For $34 extra per night they would give us a luxury ocean view. Is it worth it to go with the luxury room? Is there a difference? How far of a walk is it to downtown/marina? Is it safe to walk at night? Also the ridge is available too for a little more, is it worth it?

If not playa grande, what other places should we consider staying at that will be walking distance to marina.

Thanks!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,151 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa grande questions? Other resort recommendations

Id look at Casa Dorada or ME.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,145 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa grande questions? Other resort recommendations

there isn't any construction at PG-it has been complete for several years now :) That is a great rate, but is is a studio or a one bdrm? For me, that would make a difference. I love my one bdrm/2 bath unit there in bldg. O. I have an excellent OV.................it is about a 10 min walk to town, unless you end up in The Ridge-then you can exit on the street instead of walking down the hill. It is safe to walk-though unless I was with some folks, I'd not do it super late-but then, I wouldn't do that here at home, either. Some folks love The Ridge, others prefer 'the lower 40" as we call it. I like sleeping with my doors open and hearing the waves! The food is good, not fantastic, but part of the fun of being in Cabo is exploring all the good restaurants! Oh, and you can get to Medano Beach either by water taxi or with about a 30 min. brisk walk!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,542 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa grande questions? Other resort recommendations

Consider renting a unit from a timeshare owner (if the dates work.) Here is one available July 19 - 26, 1 bed / 2 bath unit, Suite 1362, for $900 (and no additional hotel tax!) redweek.com/posting/R308876 (Free website view as a guest; pay $15 to join & contact the owner.) These are the same units you can rent from Playa Grande or a hotel booking site. I think that's the 4th floor in Building B. Map: swissyrescue.com/PlayaGrandeResortMap.jpg

You can read about other resorts including Casa Dorada in the Top Questions on the right.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,145 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa grande questions? Other resort recommendations

Always a good idea-if it works............and that would be a good location! Close to the ocean..........Does VRBO charge also, PNW? I've been lucky and been able to rent mine on my own, but that may have to change if I have to start renting both PG and SBC!

Wayne, NJ
Level Contributor
44 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa grande questions? Other resort recommendations

I checked VRBO but there is only 3 listings for 2 and 3 bedrooms during that time. What is PNW? I would love to rent from an owner rather than the resort if possible.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,542 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa grande questions? Other resort recommendations

Hi

My wacky name choice for TripAdvisor is PacificNWFamily ~ way too long. Most folks call me PNWF or just PNW. We're lazy about names!

There are quite a few listings on Redweek and others have had great success using it. I found a last minute rental on Craigslist one time. There are some suggestions about renting from an owner in the article about resorts on Medano Beach. (Yes, Playa Grande is on Solmar Beach but the rental process is the same.)

7. Re: Playa grande questions? Other resort recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2015, 06:16