We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
27 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental

The last time I was in Cabo, I had a car rental reservation... much to my shock and dismay, I was FORCED to buy their insurance or I can't have the rental. They didn't care if I had car insurance rental with my credit card company (which I verified and do have coverage in Mexico). I had no choice but to pay an arm and leg to get the car and get going on my sojourn.

What can I do the next time I go to Cabo and am not burned again. I did call my regular car insurance company here in the USA - and they said they can give me Mexican car insurance only on my car if I drive down to Mexico, but not on rental cars.

Thanks for all you can advise me.

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
14,166 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental

What size vehicle are you renting. Mid size, Van or Jeep?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
27 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental

I had a regular compact car the last time I was in Cabo... and am thinking of doing a Jeep for a 4x4 drive to do an hike to a waterfall

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,799 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental

My recommendations are Dominic, Antonio, or Luis. If you have a Visa card that includes foreign car rental insurance, your rate might be lower.

◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦

• Antonio Miranda. He is the manager at Cactus Car / Economy. Ask for an "insurance included TripAdvisor rate.” Located at the airport. It may be possible to arrange for delivery or pick up elsewhere; contact Antonio to ask.

AMiranda@CactusCar.com

www.CactusCar.com

• Dominic Macalusso. He is a local businessman who specializes in customer service. Will pick up or deliver anywhere; insurance & full tank of gasoline included. Reported to be cash only again. Folks rave about the personal service. Help available any time (lock yourself out, lose the key, get a flat tire, get lost on the way to Todos Santos, total the van in a rainstorm/flood, heated conversation with police, whatever.)

DomoSanLucas@prodigy.net.mx

http://DominicLosCabos.com/

• Luis Ceseña. He is the manager of Alamo at the airport. Ask for a TripAdvisor rate that includes required insurance. It is possible to drop in Cabo or SanJose; contact Luis to ask.

AeropuertoLosCabos@AlamoRentACar.com.mx

http://en.AlamoMexico.com.mx/

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental

So just to confirm, the insurance offered through your credit card covers collision damage in Mexico. However, Mexican personal liability insurance is mandatory by law in Mexico and, as I understand it, this must be provided by your car rental agency. In other words, they can not accept the insurance you have either personally or through your credit card to cover this aspect of the insurance.

So I guess the good news is that you didn't get burned. It's the same for everyone. Here's a link that might help.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g150773-c205753/Los-C…

The agencies listed by PNWF are trustworthy. I would also add BBB to the list. We have used them a couple of times recently and have found their service and value to be excellent.

Edited: 16 May 2014, 21:20
Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental

We have rented cars every time we have travelled to Cabo. We can recommend Antonio and Dominic. Great service and rates from both.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
796 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental

We have a 3 wk timeshare trip planned for late Jan to early Feb and will likely add a private condo rental thru end of Feb. We are a retired couple and it is our first time to Cabo. Staying at the Pueblo Rose for first two weeks followed by a week at the Grand Mayan. Looking at a private rental for the last few weeks at the Costa Azul Condominiums - which is across the street from the Zipper's Beach area.

I have been reading the articles and post for car rentals for the past few months and realize that it is relatively expensive due to the required insurance. It would be nice to have a car at least for a week to check out some of the Cabo sites - maybe the week we are at the Grand Mayan when our daughter will be joining us. Of course, we need to get to the grocery store to get food as I mostly cook our meals to save $$. Since most of the timeshares have only small fridges, a visit to the grocery store will likely be warranted twice per week. Other than going for groceries, I am fine with just chilling at the resort or taking the public bus to where ever.

Do any of the recommended car rental persons offer discounts for a 5-6 week rental?

Will any of the recommended car rental persons deliver the car to our resort (Pueblo Rose)?

Do the resorts themselves have daily car rentals or are these prohibitively expensive?

How far in advance should I ask for a quote from the car rental companies?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,799 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental

Dominic will deliver a car.

Most resorts have an on-site rental. Some are probably more expensive.

Alamo across the street from the Puerto Paraiso Mall is walkable from the PB Rose or ask them to pick you up. (This is not the same rental location as the airport. You can rent on line or contact the manager to arrange for a rental. Jonathan Gonzalez JGonzalez@AlamoRentACar.com.mx Map: http://goo.gl/maps/LTWnD )

I'd finalize arrangements at least six months in advance, but I'm a planner.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental

We just rented from BBB the last week in April. We rented a Dodge minivan. We rented the minivan by e-mailing BBB/Gary. The car was fine, the air conditioning was cold (very important !!). We have been coming to San Jose fishing for 20+ years. We've used the other rental car companies mentioned here, and are fine. My credit card would cover the additional insurance, so it was nice that Gary did not try to "up sell" additional insurance. Saved a couple of hundred dollars by using BBB and a little older car. Very happy with the service. We have booked a trip for the end of November and probably will use them again.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
796 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental

<<Alamo across the street from the Puerto Paraiso Mall is walkable from the PB Rose or ask them to pick you up. (This is not the same rental location as the airport. You can rent on line or contact the manager to arrange for a rental. Jonathan Gonzalez >>

Can you pick up a car at the Alamo airport location and drop off at Puerto Paraiso Mall? A one day rental would work out great - allow us to save costs of AP transportation to Pueblo Bonita Rose and allow us to go to the grocery store. May even keep it for a few days to visit some of the must sees requiring a car.

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
201 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental

Yes