We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you need a passport number before booking flights?

Arizona
Level Contributor
893 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Do you need a passport number before booking flights?

I want to book flights for my sister-in-law and her husband, but they have not received their renewed passports yet. can I still book + pay for their flights? this would be on United.

thanks.

El Pescadero, Mexico
Level Contributor
293 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you need a passport number before booking flights?

Call United and ask them directly.

San Diego, CA
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you need a passport number before booking flights?

I was able to with southwest. There should be a way to enter it later.

Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
743 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you need a passport number before booking flights?

They do not ask for passport # when buying airline tickets. I always buy the flight for myself and a friend and I don't have her passport #

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,562 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you need a passport number before booking flights?

You can usually enter it later...............may depend on the carrier however.

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
3,985 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you need a passport number before booking flights?

The thing that is important is that the name of the people needs to be spelled exactly the way it is on the passport when booking. It may be able to be changed on the booking if their is any DISCREPANCY but it may be a problem if you wait until you show up at the airport for your flight.

Arizona
Level Contributor
893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you need a passport number before booking flights?

great news, thank you all!

I found flights for them out of CMX on United for less than our flight from PHX - crazy! I had originally looked at flights from MSP for them, but that adds a day of travel each end of the week. the flight from CMX is less than an hour from their home - and that makes the trip possible. I'm always excited to bring folks I love to Cabo for the first time, always a great time and everyone gets so jazzed to finally get there.

PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,836 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you need a passport number before booking flights?

I think the closer you are to Cabo, the higher the airfare.....dumb, since it's going that way anyway.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,715 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you need a passport number before booking flights?

2saltydawgs, you are right...it appears as though most of the responses have not booked United in a while. Although you can add the Passport numbers later, United does ask for it at time of booking to facilitate a pre-clearance of sorts against the 'no fly list'. However it is not 'required' to make and pay for a reservation.

Se diviertan!

Cliffside Park NJ
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you need a passport number before booking flights?

I booked w/ United, a trip to cabos for my girlfriend and I, and at the time of booking I saw that it wanted passport numbers but I proceeded to book and the itinerary was confirmed

Edited: 06 June 2014, 03:10
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you need a passport number before booking flights?

I book people all the time and you do not need passport numbers. You can add them as late as check. Do however make sure that the names are as they will be on the passports because you cannot change them later without a fee. United will remark the file, but that is NOT changing the ticket and does NOT guarantee anything This is important to know.