We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A question for those of you that purchase insurance

Coppell, Texas
Level Contributor
544 posts
Save Topic
A question for those of you that purchase insurance

We have never pur insurance however I am considering doing so. Not concerned w/lost bags/missed trip or health. Just considering for emergency evac to the states. Any suggestions on which company & which plan? Thanks!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
576 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A question for those of you that purchase insurance

We have used Travelex Insurance for years..We did have to file a claim and they were Professional and Prompt with payment. Very happy with them . I have also heard Allianz Travel insurance is also good. Make sure you get at Least $100,000 for the Medivac Part....Very smart to get Travel Insurance.... Have a Great Time !!!

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,412 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A question for those of you that purchase insurance

We buy an annual policy through Resort Com ( Playa Grande) that covers us for the whole year no matter where we travel for medical evac. I think it is less than $100 for both of us.

I will find the paperwork and check who the provider is.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,870 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A question for those of you that purchase insurance

I purchased SkyMed emergency evac. this last May-$6/day and they take you to the hospital of your choice, not just the first one over the border.............also MedJet Assist is also excellent.............I do take the insurance offered through AS Air also, but if something happened, I'd want to be taken to my choice of hospitals :)

Coppell, Texas
Level Contributor
544 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A question for those of you that purchase insurance

KatD- Very good point about which hosp to go to. Where would you choose? I like to be prepared! One year I almost drove my ATV off a cliff. Of course in that instance I would not need a hosp!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,870 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A question for those of you that purchase insurance

I would want to be as close to my home as possible. (though NOT our local hospital!) Of course, depending on why I was being transferred-and if I was 'aware' I'd want to make my decision.....not just be dropped off just over the border.........

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A question for those of you that purchase insurance

We just purchased some through TravelSafe. Around $60 each...more coverage than we will ever need and very good reviews. The squaremouth website was helpful for comparing policies. Good luck!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
576 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A question for those of you that purchase insurance

When you Purchase Sky Med or Med Jet do you purchase another policy with it to cover Hospital cost etc.. ??

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,870 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A question for those of you that purchase insurance

I didn't purchase anything other than the emergency evac., as I have my own insurance and Medicare-so all I would need is to get "home" to where I would be covered...............and this was the first time I purchased this, but when you get to my age, you get a little nervous hearing about those that needed something and either did or didn't have it. I simply went with the least expensive way...........

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8,187 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A question for those of you that purchase insurance

We've used TravelGuard and others. We usually go onto the insuremytrip.com website to compare policies. Haven't tried the other sites... might do that for our next trip. Always looking for a place that makes it easy to compare policies, and insuremytrip.com is good, but I think could be better.

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
5,778 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A question for those of you that purchase insurance

I just buy the one with Alaska Air or American Airlines. I have heard that MedJet is pretty good.