We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at check-in for better room?

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CA
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tipping at check-in for better room?

I read here, somewhere, that a person tipped the front desk $50, on the sly, to receive a better room. They were amazed at what they were given. So.....I'm wondering if this is something we should consider. This is our first time at Grand Solmar (we check in this Sunday), by way of our Palm Desert, CA traded lock-off unit. Any advice?

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
664 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping at check-in for better room?

Please try it and let me know if it works because we're going back in October!!

CA
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping at check-in for better room?

Mike, did you stay at Grand Solmar in a studio? Any advice for someone who has never been there before?

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping at check-in for better room?

The reason you have to tip on the sly is that you are bribing someone to give you something of value that they do not own can get them fired. I know a lot of people think it is OK to cheat and steal from the big corporation, but if you want a bigger room, why not just buy it?

CA
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping at check-in for better room?

I was not trying to "cheat" anyone nor suggest that anyone should. Just did not know if this was a normal practice to avoid being assigned a room behind the boiler facing the laundry facility. Geesh!

Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping at check-in for better room?

The $20 tip trick works for me in Vegas all the time. We're staying at Playa Grande next week and want to stay on a high floor for the better views. I think $50 is a bit excessive. I'll stick to the $20 tip and see what that gets us.

CA
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping at check-in for better room?

Thank you for your reply. I also think that the $50 I read about was over the top.

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping at check-in for better room?

It has been my experience that rooms are typically already assigned by the time you arrive. I received an email to confirm my trade reservation about one week before arriving. When I inquired about the room assignments I was told they had not been given yet but they would make a note of any requests I had...but could NOT guarantee anything. I asked for high oceanview...maybe building A B C or D. I was pleasantly surprised to find that they gave us both rooms in the A building (oceanfront). Ask and you may receive without bribery. :) I also have to add that all of correspondence and experiences with everyone at the Playa Grande (we are here now) have been amazing. Good luck

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,152 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping at check-in for better room?

I agree-they do their best to accommodate your wants................can't speak to offering a 'tip', as it is something I've never done............never had to........:)

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping at check-in for better room?

I've done it and I do tip 500 pesos and have always been upgraded. Also, the same people I have tipped have been there the next year, so they were not fired. I always book the category I would be happy with and tip it will get me better. Sometimes the outcome is amazing:)

Oregon
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping at check-in for better room?

If you want an upgrade, pay for it!