We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I want the real Cabo feel, location etc

ny
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
I want the real Cabo feel, location etc

I would like to get the real Cabo feel and need help, I like all inclusive and am thinking either Secrets, Dreams or even Riu palace only for location. I think from past experience I would give up better service and quality going with Riu but is it better located being closer to town, arches, etc please any advice would be appreciated

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8,305 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I want the real Cabo feel, location etc

Sandos Finisterra is also AI, and that is a 5 min walk from the marina and town. Also, many of the other resorts offer AI as an option.

Usually, people who go AI don't leave the resort much, which is why they like AI. If you're going to be in town a lot and away from your resort, perhaps you might want to consider a non-AI resort?

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,329 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I want the real Cabo feel, location etc

I agree with DM's thoughts.............and also, many offer a 3 day optional AI..............I like being on Solmar Beach as it is a short walk to the marina/town, yet you don't feel like you are squeezed in amongst all the busy 'stuff'.............you can go enjoy wandering, and sleep to the sounds of the Pacific waves.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I want the real Cabo feel, location etc

If you want a truly Mexican feel you should stay at Club Cascadas de Baja. I haven't stayed there yet but have visited the property and when I'm there I feel like I'm in Mexcio!

It's not AI though.....

But I do like the selection of nearby restaurants. Tabasco's is on the beach - only 2 minutes to walk there.

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
16,908 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I want the real Cabo feel, location etc

The resorts you mention are spread all over Los Cabos. Secrets PLC is on the other side of San Jose 25 miles from Cabo. The Secrets Marquis and Dreams are on the corridor highway about 10 miles from Cabo and 10 miles from San Jose in the other direction. The RIUs are on the edge of Cabo about 1 1/2 miles from the center of town.

Mentioned in this post
Los Cabos
Los Cabos
Baja California Sur, Mexico
Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,329 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I want the real Cabo feel, location etc

Good choice w/Cascadas! Great location, and a bit more 'traditional'!

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
16,908 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I want the real Cabo feel, location etc

Perhaps the real Cabo feel would be a room above Cabo Wabo to feel the pulsating sounds of revelers into the Wee Hours of the morning! : }

Mentioned in this post
Cabo Wabo
Cabo Wabo
5,057 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I want the real Cabo feel, location etc

There's a penthouse above Giggling Marlin.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
5 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I want the real Cabo feel, location etc

Just to be fair, and based on the previous comments....I think we need further elaboration on what you mean by the "real" Cabo experience? I 'd have to agree with the previous posts. I was as far south as Mulege last winter and the people I talked to that were going on down to Cabo made it sound like there isn't much left of the "real" Cabo experience. I went there in 1990 and it was pretty much on the verge of being gone then. I think what we are all saying is if you want a more intimate, relaxed experience and aren't comfortable outside of Cabo, a non AI or older property more in town might be a good transition. May not be as luxurious due to age and/or their remodeling cycle but you are closer to a real community. If you really want something more low-key but still nice properties, you might try La Paz.

ny
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: I want the real Cabo feel, location etc

Rocky, Secrets PLC is 25 miles from Cabo, is it near any other resorts.I have a daughter and wife to please, my wife wants the Secrets type resort and my daughter(24) the trips to Cabo Wabo. I know your knowledgable any suggestions. The Riu is like beign in Cabo but there hit and miss, even the palace

Mentioned in this post
Cabo Wabo
Cabo Wabo
5,057 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I want the real Cabo feel, location etc

Secrets PLC is pretty remote. Nothing within walking distance. It is about a 15 minute cab ride ($15/one way) into San Jose. The taxi into Cabo, if your daughter wants to go to Cabo Wabo would be about $55/one way. The resort does offer a shuttle for $25/person/round trip, but you are on their schedule.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo Wabo
Cabo Wabo
5,057 Reviews
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico