We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the best place to exchange US dollars for Pesos?

Glendora, California
Level Contributor
43 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Where is the best place to exchange US dollars for Pesos?

Where in town is the best place to exchange currency?

rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
3,826 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is the best place to exchange US dollars for Pesos?

Your bank in Pasadena.........

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
201 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is the best place to exchange US dollars for Pesos?

Don't bother. Just use USD

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
6,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is the best place to exchange US dollars for Pesos?

I was in Cabo for 2 weeks in May and the front desk of my resort had a better exchange rate than the local banks. In the past I've used Scotia Bank at the mall, but with a better rate and the added convenience I just used my resort.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,750 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is the best place to exchange US dollars for Pesos?

Hi rubidoe

Getting pesos, spending USD, or using a credit card are personal choices.

Most hotel front desks will exchange USD for pesos. Some have a limit of $100 per day.

Most US banks will exchange USD for you before you leave for Cabo, but the exchange rate & the transaction cost may be high.

Most debit cards will work at ATMs in Cabo to withdraw pesos. The exchange rate is usually good but the transaction fee may be high, depending on your home bank. Bank ATMs are always better than stand-alone machines (not bank affiliated.)

-----

Many visitors just spend USD. Sometimes the vendor uses an exchange rate that isn't very good, but it's just so convenient to spend money from home. Change is usually in pesos so you'll get some pesos that way.

Some visitors spend USD when it's a better rate and spend pesos when that's the better rate.

Using credit cards can work well if you don't have a foreign transaction fee for your card, but can be a problem if your credit card number is copied.

In my opinion, there isn't one 'best' place to exchange USD for pesos. There are lots of good ways to spend money.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,452 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is the best place to exchange US dollars for Pesos?

I just exchange at my resort. Their rate is usually spot on-or close enough to not make a difference, and it is so much easier than having to hassle with worrying about finding a reliable place. I tend to use a mix of both USD & Pesos..........depending on what I have handy.

Glendora, California
Level Contributor
43 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is the best place to exchange US dollars for Pesos?

I've read that pesos are preferred in Cabo, by workers & vendors. I want to be prepared. Are US dollars widely accepted?

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,452 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is the best place to exchange US dollars for Pesos?

They are-much more so now, than in "the old days"...............some places even give you back USD in change.

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,317 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is the best place to exchange US dollars for Pesos?

We are here now and have been using a mixture of both depending in the exchange.

We did our initial exchange at our front desk for 12.5/1.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is the best place to exchange US dollars for Pesos?

I found the best rate at hotel front desk. When I was there in February I got 13/1 at front desk but ATM at bank was 12/1. Also, so restaurants gave really bad exchange rates, I found one that was only 10/1. It is much better to pay in whatever currency the price is quoted so you don't get ripped off with the rates.

I think a lot of the locals do prefer pesos but see them a lot going and exchanging themselves. I just figured that their neighborhood markets are priced in pesos. So, if you have pesos, tip in pesos but don't worry about it if you don't.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where is the best place to exchange US dollars for Pesos?

We were able to get by using USD our whole trip. A lot of the places give pricing in both USD and pesos. Whenever we did use USD though, we didn't need change back so I'm not sure how they would give change back and get you on the exchange rate.