We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How strict are the adult hotels about a 17 year old?

Murrieta
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How strict are the adult hotels about a 17 year old?

We want an all inclusive with good food, premium alcohol, and not a bunch of little kids running around. Does anyone know how strict the all adult hotels are?

Tacoma, Wash
Level Contributor
12,757 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How strict are the adult hotels about a 17 year old?

Your question is a little confusing? Are you bringing a 17 year old? Are you wanting to avoid them? Where are you planning to stay? There a very few AI adult only places in Los Cabos..

Murrieta
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How strict are the adult hotels about a 17 year old?

sorry, first time asking a question here. My husband and I will be traveling with our kids who are 17, 22 and 24. I found a hotel I really liked but then noticed is said "adult only." The idea of little kids running all over the place doesn't appeal to me, but not sure how strict they would be about me bringing my 17 year old.

Tacoma, Wash
Level Contributor
12,757 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How strict are the adult hotels about a 17 year old?

Ahhh....I get it!

Where are you planning to stay? Perhaps we can help if we know..

If your 17 year old looks 18..it may not be a problem:))

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How strict are the adult hotels about a 17 year old?

In an AI it is normal for all passports to be checked on check-in and "adults" given a bracelet so that they can be legally served alcohol. Obviously sneaking in a 17 year-old is breaking the rules and may even be illegal. (Of course the hotel assumes that at an "adults only AI" anyone can be served alcohol.) I don't think anyone is going to say "Yes, it's OK you'll be fine" because if you are NOT fine you are going to find yourself in a real hole (having to check out and pay for a new hotel!). So personally I wouldn't recommend it.

Tacoma, Wash
Level Contributor
12,757 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How strict are the adult hotels about a 17 year old?

SteveMex has good advise:)) I did not think about the serving alcohol issue..so naive of me..

Again..let us know where...

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8,177 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How strict are the adult hotels about a 17 year old?

@Kimmurrieta - You mentioned you found a resort you really liked. Which resort is it?

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,830 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How strict are the adult hotels about a 17 year old?

Yes-Steve is right! There are often 'adult' pools at the resorts also-so you aren't 'surrounded' by little kiddos everywhere-also, what time of year? If it is during school holidays, there are obviously more kiddos, but if not-you won't find lots of them about...........lots of choices w/o having to try and sneak in a 17 year old :)

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,115 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How strict are the adult hotels about a 17 year old?

Hotels are very strict...and THANK YOU TO THEM FOR THAT. Maybe you think your 17 year old is an adult, but there are other clients who would NOT think so!! Then there is the parent who thinks their 16 year old, 14 year olds are adults...and we are then back to kids running around and drinking.

The hotels will check your passports...they are responsible for any underaged alcohol abuses...so it is very important to them to do that. Just go to a different hotel...

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
15,448 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How strict are the adult hotels about a 17 year old?

In the past the PB Pacifica considered and adult 16 and over. (Before they were All Inclusive.) Even the Secrets Marquis had younger people. Presumably friends of the management.

I would call the resort in Cabo and ask about your 17 year old. Ya never know !!!

joliet il
Level Contributor
192 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How strict are the adult hotels about a 17 year old?

If you are booking through a tour operator when you go in to put the 17 year olds birth date it will most likely not let you book.