We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few questions from someone going to Cabo for the first time

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Burbank, California
7 posts
Save Topic
Few questions from someone going to Cabo for the first time

Never been in Cabo before. Thinking to go in September to the Club Tesoro at the Wyndham Cabo San Lucas Resort. Any reviews or advice would be much appreciated!

Also, how is the ocean water there in September, warm or cold? I much prefer being out on the beach swimming in the ocean as opposed to the hotel pool. How far are the sun bathing/swimming beaches from the Club Tesoro? Can we bike there..? Thank you so much for your input!

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Few questions from someone going to Cabo for the first time

September is the hottest and most humid month of the year, right in the middle of hurricane season. We just returned 2 weeks ago and it was unseasonably humid and I can't even imagine how bad it is in September.

If you are ok with that, it can be a great time to go since it is the slowest month of the year. Some restaurants do close for the month but if you haven't been there before you won't even notice that.

The Wyndam is a budget hotel right in the middle of town on the marina, not on the beach. It is a great place to be during the hot months because you are just steps from all of the bars and restaurants in town. They renovated their pool area a couple of years ago and it is now really nice! We used to stay there 20 years ago and that is when we fell in love with Cabo. If you are ok not being near the beach, it is a great, affordable, centrally located place to stay.

The water will be warm in September in the sea. You will be about a 20 minute walk to the main beach where all of the beach bars are located and where it is safe to swim.

Bike as in bicycle? I don't think I have ever seen a bike in Cabo?

Check out the review section on this resort and then please let us know if you have any other questions.

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
14,613 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Few questions from someone going to Cabo for the first time

The only bikes I've seen are the Bicycle taxis that pedal you around town.

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
638 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Few questions from someone going to Cabo for the first time

There are a few brave individuals who ride bicycles on the mean streets of CSL......I would never, ever do that...can you say crazy drivers!!!!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,042 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Few questions from someone going to Cabo for the first time

There are lots of people on bikes on Sunday morning when the main street is closed. And I've seen bicycle rental shops, but haven't ever seen anyone renting one!

Inna B ~ if you're looking for a budget option, consider the Bahia. It's a block away from Medano Beach. Someone will suggest how you get a good deal on SkyAuction (I think that's the name.)

Or rent a timeshare unit from an owner on Medano Beach. Redweek.com has options you can look at for free, then pay to join and contact the owner. This one must be a misprint ~ it's $1,000 for a 3 bed / 3.5 bath unit Sept 1-8, Pueblo Bonito Rose. Here is one at Cabo Villas: $850, 1 bed / 1 bath, Aug 30 - Sept 6

Hot, hot, hot that time of year!

Map wikimapia.org/…50

Springfield...
Level Contributor
4,872 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Few questions from someone going to Cabo for the first time

Skyauction is a great place to start. You can get the Bahia sometimes for as low as $50 a night, including taxes. They usually have a buy it now option for $75 a night. Also, check VRBO for actual condos that are individually owned. I found one at Marina Cabo Condo's for $425 for a week. It was a really big studio unit with a fantastic balcony big enough for chaise loungers to look directly onto the marina. I didn't rent it cause it didn't have a pool. You would be like five minutes to the beach. Many other options to choose from as well.

I've never heard Wyndham considered a budget hotel before. There are regular hotel rooms, timeshare units, and condos that are individually owned. I ended up renting from an individual owner for my upcoming trip.

Burbank, California
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Few questions from someone going to Cabo for the first time

Thank you very much for the great input!

One more question, is the Medano beach a good beach for swimming? What are other swimming beaches in Cabo

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,042 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Few questions from someone going to Cabo for the first time

It is the main, biggest, most populated, water sports & food/drink available beach. You can swim at Cannery Beach (usually just locals) and at Lovers Beach (where water taxis are coming to shore & leaving all the time.) No amenities at the latter two beaches. Medano Beach has roped off swim areas.

Map wikimapia.org/…b

Medano Beach to the left, Cannery Beach to the left and down, Lovers Beach down from the ' + ' symbol.

canada
Level Contributor
181 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Few questions from someone going to Cabo for the first time

I own a timeshare on Medano Beach which I rent out occasionally; if you are interested, please reply and I can send you a private message with the details. Thanks.

Oregon
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Few questions from someone going to Cabo for the first time

I came into this late Inna B , but my bride and I have stayed at Wyndham several times, and the location is outstanding. The one piece of advice that I would offer is to pay a few dollars extra (it's like $10 per night) for a Marina view. We spend a lot of time on our balcony early in the mornings, watching the Marina come to life, and late in the evenings watching it close down. There are dozens of great restaurants and Cantinas that are literally steps away.

Cabo San Lucas...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Few questions from someone going to Cabo for the first time

I wouldn't ride a bike here and we do not have bike paths.

Medano Beach has a large section roped off for swimmers which you will enjoy.

There is nothing more cool than lounging under an umbrella, eating sushi and being served anything you can think of on the sand ... and being able to just walk to the water. Of course I am thinking Baja Cantina on the beach because it's my favorite place. They spoil me there!