We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is everyone all right? Big Storm this morning!

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
245 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Is everyone all right? Big Storm this morning!

Wow! I've been thru my first tropical storm and it was scary!

Around 7:30 am today a wicked black cloud storm rumbled in from the northe west and created havoc.

We are on a beach front penthouse on Medano beach and the damage is significant. Mango deck, office the swing bar are all damaged. Here at Cabo villas we lost power for about 90 minutes. The win blew our patio furniture away and all the pillows and cushions.

During the peak of the storm the patio doors were rattling severely and my wife and I took a step back. It was something to see.

I hope all the fishing boats that left the marina about 30 minutes before the storm make it back safely. Really can't understand why they would have gone out in the first place.

The seas are really ruff now at medano beach with brown muck swirling in the water.

It's still raining now at 9:20 am. Hoping the town gets back on their feet soon.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is everyone all right? Big Storm this morning!

Tropical storm or was that just a storm in the tropics? It was pretty windy for a while but very calm now. Ocean does not look that bad now.

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
14,613 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is everyone all right? Big Storm this morning!

Was it mostly wind with light rain, or was the rain heavy? Heavy rains usually flood the downtown area !!! Never a good thing.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
245 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is everyone all right? Big Storm this morning!

Lots of wind and lots of rain. Water murky brown for the first 50 feet from shore. Still raining here. Surf on Medano Beach is still high.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is everyone all right? Big Storm this morning!

We checked in at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach yesterday for our one and only night in Cabo. No damage here from what I can see but the ocean is really mucky over by the golf course past Pacifica. Good thing I got my round in earlier in the week at Puerto Los Cabos! It was a heavy rain earlier and is now just light with no wind. Boats are coming in but no white caps.

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is everyone all right? Big Storm this morning!

Seemed to surprise everyone. What happened to all those "never wrong" forecasting sites.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,222 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is everyone all right? Big Storm this morning!

sounds like it is going to last awhile from the radar pics. and info coming in from there!!!!!!!!! flooding, or course, and looks like more coming :(

Cabo San Lucas...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
2,720 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is everyone all right? Big Storm this morning!

Surprise storm. Heavy winds. Heavy rains.

Power outages everywhere - back on in most places. It was not a tropical storm but a chubasco. We may not be done yet and there is a chance for hail in the state of Baja Sur ... but that doesn't mean "we" will see it ... or more in rain Los Cabos. We are still under cloud cover so who knows.

This has been a horrible morning. Not all of the boats that went out this morning have reported in :(

This is NOT normal.

Edited: 24 July 2014, 19:20
Cabo San Lucas...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
2,720 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is everyone all right? Big Storm this morning!

Sushi Time went down according to the people that charted it and swam ashore. They are okay - boat clearly not.

Olympia, WA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,042 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is everyone all right? Big Storm this morning!

Pictures in Tribuna de Los Cabos shows some damage to several of the beach bars. I suspect they will all sport "Newly Re-modeled" signs soon.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,222 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is everyone all right? Big Storm this morning!

thanks for the updates, IHT...........between here and FB it is so helpful to know what is happening!