We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food poisoning

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Redding, California
Level Contributor
224 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Food poisoning

I'm not writing this to scare anyone just to be cautions. My case is probably not common. I have just got out of hospital for 12 days. Got back from cabo I believe July 3 terrible been so sick no memory of trip other than pictures. Apparently I picked up salmonella and it went into my blood. Now again not a common event. The infection control dr all think I got it on cabo. Not sure if anyone else has ever picked this up before. My husband and son were fine.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,535 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food poisoning

That's scary! Glad you had your husband and son with you.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,141 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food poisoning

Wow! That is scary, and I am glad you are doing better!

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,237 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food poisoning

Where did you stay?

Redding, California
Level Contributor
224 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food poisoning

La enstancia

Redding, California
Level Contributor
224 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food poisoning

Thanks but I'm still sick I will never go there again . The scary part is I was sicker than that. I actually went into a coma. Have to have CPR this has been a terrible thing. But I know a lot people go and my case is individual . But I just want there to be awareness. I don't want to scare people but I also want people to be aware and careful. God bless all of you I also want to put out there this is strong suspicious if it caused going into cardiac arrest but it's still not 100 percent.

Edited: 26 July 2014, 01:54
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,535 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food poisoning

Once again, I'm so glad that you survived. That's a scary thing.

Orange County
Level Contributor
103 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food poisoning

very scary and glad you are getting better. I have been travelling to Mexico for 35 years and I had food poisoning once. I have been to Hawaii ten times and have had it twice.

Bergen, Norway
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Food poisoning

Hope you get better! What upsets me because Ive also experienced food poisoning - though noting near what you have - is that you cannot claim food poisoning in your reviews unless you have hard facts. In my cause I got sick immediately after the meal - and felt better after vomiting the meal. My stomach was empty before that as it was breakfast. Though it wasn't any bacteria in the meal there must have been something disgusting about it. But the B&B serving the meal doesn't need fear a review about this as I didn't get the vomit into a bag to analyze it.

Launceston Tasmania
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food poisoning

So sorry to hear silver499 that is one scary tale. Thanks for your story this kinda happened to us in July too and thankfully we had better luck.

My Wife has ibs and picks up bugs most times when we travel. So of course she was unlucky enough to drink a margarita with ice and bang she was sick for 2 days.

Yes folks I believe ice and water were the problem. We both ate the same dishes but only bottled beer for me. The drink was in a small shack type joint off the tourist strip by a few streets.

We were staying at the Playa Grande and have to say the in-house doctor was amazing. She wrote out the scripts of about 5 different medicines and had them delivered to our hotel for $5. The doctor advised my wife to eat only steamed veggies and plain chicken breast for two days and thank fully she came right. Whoo hoo this was a great outcome as I was looking to fly out to LA and see a hospital there without seeing Cabo at all. So with the wife feeling better I really had to spoil her rotten and thankfully Cabo allows for lots of that.

I ate everything all over town and I wander far off the tourist strip but I was super careful drinking only bottled/can water and booze.

10. Re: Food poisoning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2015, 05:15