We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane John?

San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
183 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hurricane John?

Hurricane John seems to be gaining momentum and I know several resorts are asking guests to cancel reservations.

If anyone based in Cabo has more information, please advise. I'm watching several hurricane reports but usually the local consensus is a better guage.

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricane John?

Cabodweller,

lots of boats moving to the inner part of the marina. heres a couple of resources. Buena Suerte...... jim

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_ep1+shtml/180905.shtml?basin

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/browsp2.html

…hawaii.edu/Tropical/Gif/nep.latest.gif

San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricane John?

Thank you. Stay safe!

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurricane John?

Cabodewller,

you do the same as we all hope and pray for the best not just for Los Cabos but our amigos all along the Pacific coast. Buena Suerte....... jim

Southern California
Level Contributor
434 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurricane John?

Jim -

Please do be careful. Your advice and reports "live from Cabo" certainly help us with our travel decisions.

Of course we all wish everyone on the mainland along with Cabo area safety and minimal damage.

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
277 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurricane John?

If your airline will refund you your money take them up on it. I have been through many hurricanes down here and they are not fun. We experience major flash flooding instantly as we have no place for the water to run off. If you are here or about to arrive load up on cash as if there is a power outage your credit cards will not work and you will not be able to access your cash with your ATM cards. The town usually takes about 4-5 days to recover after a major storm. Not all of the hotels have generators and it is hot... that is why we are going to get hit by a hurricane. The ocean temperatures are 5degrees C higher than normal. For all that think hurricanes are fun... think again. The last time we had a hurricane all of the bridges we knocked out as well as the airport radar and people were stranded here for days.

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
277 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurricane John?

If your airline will refund you your money take them up on it. I have been through many hurricanes down here and they are not fun. We experience major flash flooding instantly as we have no place for the water to run off. If you are here or about to arrive load up on cash as if there is a power outage your credit cards will not work and you will not be able to access your cash with your ATM cards. The town usually takes about 4-5 days to recover after a major storm. Not all of the hotels have generators and it is hot... that is why we are going to get hit by a hurricane. The ocean temperatures are 5degrees C higher than normal. For all that think hurricanes are fun... think again. The last time we had a hurricane all of the bridges we knocked out as well as the airport radar and people were stranded here for days.

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurricane John?

Moments ago I got an e-mail from my friend in Cabo. She lives by the Trailer Park restaurant. They have an RV and palapa in the park. She said they expect to hit head on Friday am. She's been informed they could be without electricity for 10 days. We need to all say a little prayer for the safety of all in our beloved Cabo and the whole Baja area...............

San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hurricane John?

Please heed Cabogirl's warnings. I'm not in Cabo right now but have been there during tropical storms and also during the aftermath of a hurricane. This is not alarmist. It's reality.

Also remember than many hotel workers will be unable to get to work. MANY. Roads get washed out, schools are often closed or used for emergency shelters.

If airlines cancel flights on Friday and Saturday, remember that no inbound flights means that there are few outbound flights (just the delayed planes that may be unable to leave on schedule) and hundreds and hundreds of people booked and expecting to leave prior to you. Some hotels may offer a slight discount, others none.

For those of you in Cabo; stay safe and good luck with your families, homes and businesses.

S.

SF/Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hurricane John?

Thx for all the updates everyone. I'm supposed to fly out tomm. morning and stay till monday, but it's looking more and more like cancelling is best.

Villa rental says no refunds possible and airlines say they'll keep us posted. but how do they expect us to fly into a hurricane and guarantee a flight back on time? I'm going to try and cancel flights or rebook to another location.

For those out there in Cabo, be safe and take care!!!

Portland Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hurricane John?

This is the latest Quote form Baja insider.

"THIS MAY BE THE MOST POWERFUL STORM TO EVER HIT BAJA

At this time Hurricane John is forecast to be a CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE when it makes landfall in Baja sometime Friday. Now, a lot can happen between now and then, but this will not be like any hurricane ANY Baja resident has ever experienced. Hurricane Kiko in 1986 was a 3, the current Baja landfall record holder with sustained winds estimated at 105kts. We have a chart explaining the difference in hurricane effect damage for you.

We would ask that all of our readers assist us in providing up-to-date first hand information from their regions of Baja. Rainfall, winds, road conditions and power outages (except if you have a power outage you can't email us!) would all be of great help to all of our readers. For Hurricane John reports email hurricane-john@BajaInsider.com!

This is going to be a very powerful storm - Please begin your preparations promptly, use you head and stay safe."

To all my friends in Cabo and on the board, let's all say a little prayer

for all who may be affected.

Hang tough our prayers are with you.